The first phase of The Curzon Building, on the corner of Curzon Street and Cardigan Street, is almost complete and ready to welcome students from September.
Now, BCU has lodged new plans to expand this building with an extension which will reach up to six storeys and provide a home for teaching rooms and experimental and social learning.
Known as 'Plot 2a', the extension is due to open in 2017 and will sit at the rear of the site, facing onto Gopsal Street, and comprise two sections of two and six storeys respectively.
It will cover a total of around 112,000 sq ft, have 70 cycle spaces and be able to accommodate up to 3,000 students and staff, adding to the 5,000 already proposed for the first phase of The Curzon Building when it opens next month.
The building, designed by Birmingham-based Associated Architects, is intended to function as additional teaching and work space to accommodate existing city centre campus courses and also the growing number of students attending BCU.
Pro vice-chancellor Paul Hartley told the Post: "Birmingham City University is playing a huge part in transforming and regenerating the Eastside of Birmingham, through its rapidly expanding city centre campus.
"This planning application forms a key element of this continuing transformation.
"The proposed development would give us the high-quality additional teaching and learning space needed to accommodate our expanding student numbers.
"Alongside The Curzon Building preparing to welcome students next month and work getting under way on a superb new conservatoire on our city centre campus, this is a thoroughly exciting time to be part of Birmingham City University."
This development is the latest in a long line of regeneration work on the previously vacant land close to where the new HS2 station will be built.
Both Eastside City Park, in front of Millennium Point where BCU is the main tenant, and the university's new Parkside building opened in 2013.
Parkside houses the faculty of arts, design and media which has five TV studios including the largest green screen outside of London and Salford's MediaCityUK complex.
Work started recently on neighbouring 6 Cardigan Street, as part of the Eastside Locks project, where BCU will lease space for office and support staff and last year spades hit the ground to build the 13-storey, No1 City Locks residential tower capable of housing around 650 BCU students.
Phase one of The Curzon Building, which covers 260,000 sq ft, will provide a new home for the faculty of business, law and social sciences and the school of English.
Additional services to be housed there include a dedicated student support service called Ask, the main library and students' union which also includes the complete restoration of a Victorian pub.
The Eagle and Ball, more recently called Moby Dick's and which closed in 2007, was built between 1840 and 1850.
Capping off this major regeneration is the new conservatoire, which is due to open in Jennens Road in summer 2017 and will house BCU's famous school of music when it relocates from Adrian Boult Hall.
The hall, in Chamberlain Square, is being demolished as part of the £500 million, mixed-use Paradise development.