Slow cook recipes are proving to be firm favourites in kitchens across the country nowadays with a number of households embracing the more relaxed cooking style. Slow cook recipes can use a number of different ingredients with chicken remaining a firm favourite. Slow cooked chicken curry is just one example of these.
Chicken curry is a common and popular dish and something which is greatly suited to slow cookers. A typical chicken curry contains onions, tomatoes and yogurt sauce and is seasoned with spices such as cumin, cinnamon, and cardamom. For those unable to get hold of fresh spices a number of pre-packaged or dried spices can be purchased instead. These products, offered from companies such as Schwartz, are a great and easy way to extra add flavour to popular meals.
Spices and seasoning work especially well with curries based on slow cooker recipes. Chicken is the perfect meat to be used in such a dish, proving to be a versatile ingredient that absorbs the various flavours.A number of traditional recipes can be adapted in order to be used within a slow cooker, making them exceptionally popular.
Chicken Curry Recipe
• 1 tablespoon corn oil, grape seed or olive oil
• 1 medium onion, sliced• 1 / 3 cup golden raisins (optional)
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• 1 1 / 2 teaspoon yellow curry powder, or to taste
• 4 skinless boneless chicken breast (1 to 1 1 / 2 lb.) *
• 1 cup sour cream
• Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
Preparation time: 20 min | cooking time: 45 min
1. Remove the skin from the chicken and cut into medium sized strips.
2. Put oil in large skillet and place over a medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions (and raisins if included) and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and sprinkle with half the curry powder. Continue to boil for a couple of minutes, until hot.
3. Season the sliced chicken with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the remaining curry powder. Move onions to one side of skillet and add the chicken in a single layer. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side, or until lightly golden.
4. Add the sour cream and stir constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture is nice and thick. Return chicken to the skillet and cook for a few minutes, turning once.
5. Taste and add more seasoning if required. Pour the sauce over the chicken.6. Garnish with cilantro or parsley and serve with boiled rice.
To adapt this recipe into a slow cooker curry simple transfer the chicken and sauce to a slow cooker at stage four. This will allow the flavours to infuse with the chicken, creating a beautiful dish. Make sure to check that food is cooked thoroughly before serving and always consult other recipes for advice and tips.