There are 'serious doubts' about a public consultation which backed the transfer of policing powers to the mayor's office, PCC David Jamieson has said.
And local MP Steve McCabe has also hit out at the consultation, calling it "narrow and suspect."
Today (Friday) the results of a two stage, eight-week long public consultation into proposals to ditch the role of the Police and Crime Commissioner and transfer the powers to the mayor in time for the 2020 elections were published.
Figures showed that 58 per cent of respondents to the first stage backed the principle of the transfer, from a pool of over 6,000 responses, while only 735 people responded to the second stage of the consultation.
A majority of people also agreed that transferring the powers would make for greater accountability, efficiency and effectiveness of policing, as well as supporting the idea that having a mayor and deputy mayor sharing responsibility for policing was more appropriate than two elected officials.
However question marks remain over the consultation , after it emerged last month that the mayor's Twitter account had encouraged fellow members of the Conservative Party to 'do anything you can to get us three, four, five or more responses'.
Though the mayor was subsequently cleared of any wrongdoing, the message prompted Solihull councillor Bob Grinsell to respond to the message by saying that he had "responded three times, using three different names and emails".
And, responding today to the publication of the results, a spokesperson for current PCC David Jamieson was quick to point out the controversy surrounding the consultation.
"Experts bodies including the independent Joint Audit Committee, the independent Police and Crime Panel, the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners and several MPs, have raised serious concerns that should be listened to," a statement said.
"There are serious doubts about the consultation process itself, especially after a Solihull councillor admitted making multiple submissions after contact with the Mayor’s office.
"There was a dramatic fall-off in the number of people taking part in the second part of the consultation after ‘cheating’ accusations emerged.
"The Police and Crime Commissioner is examining the consultation carefully, and will make his final decision known in due course, but he remains concerned about the honesty and integrity of the process and believes that there are still serious questions that remain unanswered.
"We are still awaiting the conclusion of all disciplinary processes in relation to the ‘cheating’ accusations also."
And Selly Oak MP Steve McCabe, whose response was included in the consultation document, has also hit out at the process. In a statement, he said: “I am very surprised that anyone can rely on such a narrow and suspect consultation, particularly where fraud has been admitted.
"Less than 1 per cent of people who would be affected by the proposals responded to this consultation, how on earth can we justify what is essentially a power grab of policing powers at a time when all the focus should be on tackling the rise in crime and not messing around with structures?”
A spokesperson for the WMCA said they would be making no further comment at this time.