Chinatown nightspot Club 101 is to have its licence reviewed due to police concerns with laughing gas and violence.

Trouble flared outside of the venue on Hurst Street after 5am on Sunday, March 31.

West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed it received a number of calls to the area and sent one crew who tended to a man with multiple injuries.

A week earlier West Midlands Police witnessed a customer inhaling nitrous oxide - also known as Hippie Crack and laughing gas - through a balloon.

Club 101 on Hurst Street in Chinatown. Google Street View.
Club 101 on Hurst Street in Chinatown. Google Street View.
 

The force has called on Birmingham City Council to review the premises licence in the interests of preventing crime and disorder and protecting public safety.

A council notice said: "A review of the premises licence is being sought by the Chief Constable of West Midlands Police following a compliance visit on Sunday 24th March 2019 where a licensing officer witnessed a customer using balloons to inhale nitrous oxide.

"A further incident occurred in the premises on Sunday 31st March 2019 where a male sustained head injuries."

The hearing will take place some time after May 7 which is the deadline for representations to be made.

Club 101 has been approached for comment.

Laughing gas cannister
Laughing gas cannister
 

Police have growing concerns about the wider use of laughing gas particularly in the Southside area of the city centre.

Earlier this week PC Ben Reader told a council licensing committee that there were huge cash profits to be made with balloons typically being sold for £5 each.

 

The council's public health department also moved to highlight the side effects which range from nausea to nerve damage in severe cases.

It came as the council issued an informal warning to Stories nightclub, also in Chinatown, over an isolated incident last Boxing Day where police witnessed a woman selling balloons in the venue.

The club's barrister Sara Clover argued that many operators were 'playing catch-up' because they were not aware that nitrous oxide had been outlawed by the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016.