Arts bosses have pledged to tackle a huge disparity in funding which sees London getting almost £70 per person spent on culture - but the West Midlands gets just £4.57.
Bodies across the region could receive a fairer share of funding in future years, the people responsible for distributing cash have pledged.
Leaders of Arts Council England, which shares out lottery cash for the arts as well as funding directly from the Treasury, said they accepted there was an "imbalance" with London getting the lion's share while the rest of the country loses out.
But they insisted the situation was improving, with more money going to regions outside London in recent years, pledging the trend would continue.
However, giving evidence to a Commons inquiry, the Arts Council also insisted London organisations had to receive enough money to let the city maintain its position as the world's cultural capital.
And MPs were also told by Culture Minister Ed Vaizey the arts were "generously funded outside London".
The Commons Culture, Media and Sport Committee is holding an inquiry into the work of the Arts Council prompted partly by a hard-hitting report called Rebalancing Our Cultural Capital.
The publication warned that London received £563.9 million a year in culture funding from the Government and the Arts Council - or £68.98 per person. It also said other regions, including the West Midlands, got £205.1 million or just £4.57 per person.
The study also found the West Midlands had received £70.18 per head in arts lottery funding since 1995, while Londoners received £165.
Birmingham's 10 MPs have been campaigning for a fairer deal for the city and the West Midlands.
Last year, the Post revealed the city's arts organisations were facing serious difficulties due to cuts in funding.
Groups including the Birmingham Royal Ballet, the REP theatre, Royal Shakespeare Company and the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra have voiced concerns over the issue.
In a letter last year to Arts Council chair Sir Peter Bazalgette, the MPs said: "The wider creative industries sector is of critical importance to the city whilst the arts play a very significant role in promoting the city region's reputation and growing its visitor economy.
"We want to ensure that remaining public funds are aligned as much as possible so that Birmingham can maintain its high quality cultural offer, based on a unique infrastructure, and the sector can continue to contribute to the much-needed economic recovery of the city region."
Speaking to the Committee, Sir Peter Bazalgette said: "You are quite right point to an imbalance."
He said it should not be surprising that London received the most funding, but added: "We are addressing years of imbalance but we are addressing it carefully."
London used to get 51 per cent of funding while the rest of the country got 49 per cent but this had changed so that London now received 49 per cent, he said.
"That trend should continue this summer. Those are very important parts of the work we are doing," he added.
One Committee member, Yorkshire MP Philip Davies, accused the Arts Council of indulging "London luvvies" by spending £347.4 million on opera over five years and just £1.8 million on brass bands.
Arts Council chief executive Alan Davey told him: "I do want us to increase the amount of money we are giving to brass bands because I think it's a wonderful pastime."
But Mr Vaizey played down suggestions of a funding gap, saying: "I think it is nuanced. I don't want a headline saying it is unbalanced because as I say it is a more subtle picture.
"A lot of the organisations with London postcodes have national profiles and do national work."
He continued: "The picture is by no means as bleak as some people would wish to paint it.
"A great deal of funding has gone to arts organisations outside London and a lot of funding that is supposedly ‘London funding' is in fact national funding."
But he said he wanted to find a way of creating "a spine of organisations" outside London that were considered "beacon organisations" within their areas and funded accordingly.
Steve McCabe (Lab Selly Oak) said: "This London bias in funding still exists and it is obviously a problem when the minister is blind to it.
"It's bizarre that if something is in London it is considered to be national but if it is anywhere else then it is regional. It's good if the Arts Council is beginning to recognise some of the issues."
The Birmingham Post has launched a free app for iPad and iPhone. Download it here .