A seven-year-old Wolverhampton girl, who woke up to find her home ablaze crawled through the smoke to alert her sleeping parents after learning fire safety procedure from a television programme.
The child woke shortly after 3.30am today to find that a kitchen fire had broken out at the two-storey property in Willenhall. She immediately put into practice fire safety procedures she had seen on television, crawling to avoid the smoke.
A neighbour also spotted the blaze at the semi-detached home in Shoreham Close and dialled 999.
Firefighters rescued the child along with her parents and sister and praised the seven-year-old's actions.
A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said: "She knew what to do to avoid the smoke because she had watched it on television, I am not sure what the programme was. She also had some level of fire safety education.
"It is very impressive for a seven-year-old child. The important message is that it would have been a lot safer if the house had been fitted with working smoke detectors."
Fire crews will be in the area tomorrow delivering fire safety leaflets, the spokesman added.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the property's fuse box.