A cloud of toxic gas has been reported as sweeping across the Black Country after a factory blaze.
Police warned members of the public to keep their doors and windows closed following the large chemical fire in Oldbury on Friday afternoon.
Officers and firefighters were called to Rhodia Consumer Specialities, in Trinity Street, Langley, at 12.30pm. A large thick phosphorous low hanging cloud caused by the fire, headed south towards the M5 along and Wolverhampton Road. The visible white cloud was approximately 50ft by 400ft.
Police urged members of the public, especially those in high-rise buildings, to keep windows and doors closed, and stay indoors. Motorists are urged to keep moving and keep windows closed and air vents off.
Phosphorous reacts badly if it comes into contact with water, therefore residents who come into contact with the chemical are urged to avoid having baths or showers until the cloud has dispersed.
Phosphorous causes irritation to eyes, sneezing, soreness, throat soreness and shortness of breath - if in contact with skin can cause a rash. If you experience any of the mentioned symptoms please seek medical advice.
Police advise people living in the area to stay calm and remain indoors, closing all windows and doors. People should avoid going to the area.
A spokesman for the West Midlands Fire Service said said its officers would remain on the scene until the fire, which he said had been caused by a leak on the factory site, had been fixed and the blaze extinguished.
“This could take up to three hours,” he said. “An on-site plan has been activated and ground monitors are in place, and good progress is being made in brining the incident to a close.”