Worcestershire beat Yorkshire by four wickets

Worcestershire's hopes of a double promotion this season were done a power of good last night as they claimed their third Pro40 victory in nine days.

Lou Vincent's discovery of his best form just at the right time was the cornerstone of their win, a particularly sound effort given the obvious problems of batting under the far from efficient Headingley lights.

But there were also some solid contributions with the ball from man-of-the-match Matt Mason and spinners Ray Price and Gareth Batty, who was able to silence more than one wag on the Western Terrace on his return to Headingley.

Yorkshire's 192 for eight was never quite enough, even with the advantage of batting first. But, for a long time, it looked like being a lot less.

The home side were struggling for runs right from the moment Kabir Ali yorked Craig White in his first over.

In contrast to his performance here four years ago when he recovered from a first-over mauling from White to claim five wickets, Kabir was to prove expensive after that. He was picked on especially by Michael Lumb, whose first six scoring shots all fizzed for four, four of them off Kabir. But it was of little consequence, given the damage the reliable Mason was doing at the other end.

Mason again did his chances of being a late runner for this winter's Ashes Tour party no harm by bowling his eight overs straight through again to take three for 26.

The pick of them was the brilliant one-handed catch his left arm took inches from the ground to remove the lively Lumb for 26, but he also a ccounted for Anthony McGrath and danger man Darren Lehmann.

In contrast to the stick they took in the first of their three straight wins at Grace Road last Monday, spin twins Batty and Price then crucially both proved even more economical than Mason.

Batty also weighed in with the wickets of Andy Gale, when he gave him the charge, and Gerard Brophy just when he looked set too. And Roger Sillence returned to claim two wickets, the first of them Richard Pyrah. But the Yorkshire tail wagged well enough to set a worthwhile target, especially Deon Kruis, whose 10 not out came from the final two balls of the innings.

Worcestershire suffered an early blow in reply when Stephen Moore top edged a hook an was caught by keeper Brophy somewhere nearer short fine leg. But Solanki and Vincent maintained steady progress.

In the wake of this week's umpiring row at international level, there could have been more unwanted headlines of far-reaching consequences when Solanki was given out lbw by George Sharp on 34. But, with Solanki stood there looking aghast, the official immediately changed his mind, and called the batsman back (not that he'd actually gone anywhere).

It had looked harsh, but it was also rough on Nick Thornicroft, who was then immediately struck for four by the reprieved Solanki.

Thankfully, this latest umpiring embarrassment was swept under the carpet a lot quicker than the Darrell Hair affair, when Solanki's reverse sweep attempt went wrong shortly after.

Vincent finally followed for 72, bowled by Thornicroft. But not before he had put in another impressive knock to truly end his run of failures.

He might have struggled for form in the County Championship and in the Twenty20 too, but this was his fourth half century in as many oneday innings for Worcestershire - a run that started when he hit 83 against the Tykes in the final C&G Trophy game back in June.

Worcestershire still made surprisingly hard work of it, losing Ben Smith, Graeme Hick and Batty before limping home with 11 balls to spare.