Aston Villa have confirmed that they will appeal to the FA over Nolberto Solano's red card at Fratton Park. The Peruvian winger was sent off by referee Graham Poll on Tuesday night for violent conduct after an incident involving Portsmouth midfielder Richard Hughes.
TV evidence shows Solano lashing out wildly with a stray elbow in the direction of Hughes' face in an attempt to free himself after the Pompey player had pulled his shirt.
But a fuming Villa manager David O'Leary made it clear at his immediate postmatch press conference on Tuesday night that the club intend to appeal.
And, in the cold light of day, encouraged by the fact that the FA's disciplinary department have already overturned three Premiership red cards this season, the Villa boss has not changed his mind.
A club spokesman said: "In keeping with our manager and the player's wishes, we have lodged an appeal with the FA and provided them with the evidence for our defence."
That constitutes a mitigating statement from Solano, as well as a tape of the game.
And Villa are hoping the fact that the game restarted after the incident with a freekick in their favour will have some bearing.
"The ref has seen it as violent conduct," said O'Leary. "But Nobby Solano a violent player? Please!
"He's just tried to brush the fellah away.
"We'll appeal, but whether that will mean anything I don't know.
"All I know is that, with the squad I've got we can't afford to lose too many people, especially an influential player like Nobby."
Ironically, as recently as Saturday's trip to Old Trafford, O'Leary did choose to manage without Solano when he left him on the bench.
The fact that Solano's name was mentioned in connection with Liverpool last week, and that the player himself had publicly expressed an interest in such a 'big club', must be considered a factor in that decision. But O'Leary has again denied that there has been any approach from Anfield. And his immediate concern is trying to help Solano escape an automatic three-match ban, starting at home to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday.
Villa had until midday today to lodge their appeal. And, although they do not expect the case to be heard until Friday, they expect a quick decision.
Either Solano will be free to play against Blackburn, or will he begin a suspension that would keep him sidelined until Carling Cup second round week on September 21.
If the appeal is unsuccessful, he would miss the home games against Blackburn and Spurs, and the Monday night trip to West Ham in between.
Meanwhile, having been landed with the problem concerning Solano, O'Leary is pleased to have saddled himself with another in new signing Milan Baros - and how to fit him in his team.
"It gives me a headache," he said. "But I'm delighted to have it and I won't be losing any sleep over it.
"Baros will give us pace over the top and a great work ethic because he's a team player.
"My only worry now is that he's been playing 20-minute games and he needs to come up to speed.
"When he does, I think he'll do very well for us. He'll give us a different threat to Juan Pablo Angel and Kevin Phillips because he's got more pace about him.
"That will give us a different dimension, the same threat Darius Vassell gave us, but from a more proven goalscorer."
O'Leary also made it clear that, having strengthened one key department, he is also looking to bolster his defence.
The Villa boss has been linked with names from Chelsea's Robert Huth to Manchester United's Wes Brown, as well as Brondby's Daniel Agger. But, ahead of next Thursday's closure of the August transfer window, O'Leary is not committing himself to anything other than the need to compete with Birmingham City.
"The mob across the road are in for people that we're not in for and I think we should be.
"I believe this club should be going places. Not living in the past.
"I've wanted to fill a few positions in the two years since I've been here. And I haven't always been able to do that.
"But I hope to get another quality player in before the deadline. I think I have a good chance."