Time is running out for ailing Coventry car firm Stadco, where the fate of 165 workers could be decided this week.
The company announced the possible closure of the factory last November but while the consultation period officially continues until next week, staff claim plans are already in place to remove some of the equipment from the Holbrooks Lane plant within days.
Despite assurances from union leaders and bosses that talks continue, angry workers say they believe they are being ‘deceived’ by bosses.
One worker, who wishes to remain anonymous, said: “We have been told that units will be moved out of the factory next week.
This shows that the workforce has been lied to. It was never their intention to keep Stadco in Coventry.”
Bosses at the firm have refused to comment on the claims – remaining tight-lipped about any future plans for the plant until the end of the 90-day consultation period on Monday.
In November the management confirmed that the troubled site was being considered for closure leaving 165 jobs at risk of redundancy. Since then, regular talks have been held between managers, Unite union leaders and MPs, including Coventry MP Geoffrey Robinson, to discuss alternatives to closure.
Last month it was reported that bosses were devising a plan which could save some of the jobs facing the chop.
It was believed the proposed measures could include relocating some of the workforce to other factories across the region.
Adrian Ross, Coventry Unite leader, said: “We realise the position that the Coventry site is in and our aim is to maximise the number of jobs that we can save.”
The decision to look at closing the plant caused considerable upset to the workforce, who during the past 18 months had agreed to reduce their working hours and pay in a bid to secure their future.