More than a third of British viewers regularly watch programmes on-demand instead of relying on traditional TV schedules, according to research out today.

The report shows that 37%, twice last year's figure of 17%, are now used to creating their own TV schedules.

More than three-quarters (79%) of British consumers predict that TV schedules will have disappeared by 2018, according to the Tiscali TV Trends Report.

Almost two-thirds (64%) now say traditional TV schedules are too restrictive on their viewing.  Of those who do view on-demand content, most favour doing so through the traditional medium of a TV set.

Nearly two-thirds (62%) are watching on-demand on their TV, while the remaining 38% use a computer. The main reasons for using on-demand include catching up on a missed programme (58%), overcoming schedule clashes (39%) and flexibility (49%).
According to the research, on-demand viewers are also younger.

Almost half (45%) of 16 to 34-year olds have viewed on-demand content compared with just 22% of over those over 55.

Of those that do not watch TV on-demand, most cite potential cost (57%), while 31% were unaware it existed.

Today's report follows the launch of on-demand services from the BBC (iPlayer), ITV ( and Channel 4 (4oD).

It comes as the BBC revealed today that more than 3.5 million programmes were accessed through the BBC iPlayer in the fortnight that followed the marketing launch on Christmas Day.

Over a million visitors used the site, which allows viewers to choose BBC programmes of the last seven days, between December 25 and January 7.

A quarter of a million programmes have been downloaded or streamed everyday since December 25 on the iPlayer.
Neal McCleave, managing director of media services for Tiscali UK, said: "There is a growing demand among the British population for flexibility in their media consumption.

"As broadcasters worry about the fragmentation of the media audience, they need to look to on-demand television which is proving itself capable of retaining audience share and growing viewing times."

The survey was conducted by Tickbox, polling a representative sample of 1,760 adults in the UK.