A Vietnam War veteran and former military adviser to the White House is to be drafted in to help spearhead a new era at Aston Villa.
General Charles C Krulak, a former member of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, will sit on the board at Villa Park with a trio of US heavyweights acting under the club's new chairman Randy Lerner.
The former US Marine Corps Commandant served in the first Gulf War, Operation Desert Storm, and Vietnam, where he was awarded the Purple Heart.
Following his retirement from the Marine Corps, Gen Krulak became chief executive officer of MBNA Europe. He retired from this role last spring.
He is also in demand as a motivational speaker by top global companies.
The new board at Aston Villa will also include the head of one of the world's leading sports agencies and a leading financial executive, both trusted associates of Lerner.
The US billionaire signalled his intention to bring in a dynamic new era at Villa Park with the announcement that he is to install such high-profile figures at the club.
Villa announced yesterday morning they had accepted a #62.6 million bid from Lerner, the owner of the NFL team Cleveland Browns.
The deal should see Villa chairman Doug Ellis earn around #25 million from his 39 per cent shareholding.
The 82-year-old, who has run the club since 1982, and previously had a spell as chairman in the 1960s and 70s, will be offered a lifetime presidency at Villa Park.
Joining Gen Krulak on the board at Villa will be Robert Kain, the president and co-chief executive officer of IMG, one of the world's leading sports management and marketing agencies.
Mr Kain is a specialist in working with players, managing stadiums and marketing sports events.
Lerner will also appoint Michael Martin, the president of Brooklyn NY Holdings, the asset and investment company.
He has a long history in investment banking and is also an admitted member of the New York State bar.
It is unclear how much input the trio will have at Villa Park. However, a source close to the negotiations said: "There is no reason why they should not be able to sit on the board for a rotating period, which could be up to three years."
The news of the takeover at Villa Park was welcomed by former board members Mark Ansell and Bruce Langham and fans groups.
The Villa board has recommended that shareholders back the offer.
It comes just nine days after Villa announced that Martin O'Neill was to be the club's new manager following the departure of David O'Leary.
Mr Ellis said yesterday: "It has been my sincere pleasure to have been involved with Aston Villa these many years, both as chairman and as a substantial shareholder.
"The club has been an enormous and immensely enjoyable part of my life.
"I wish to thank the many staff at Aston Villa over the years for making the club what it has been and what it is. I am sure that this transaction will be the beginning of a new chapter in Aston Villa's proud history."
Mr Lerner said: "It is my belief and the basis for my bid to acquire Aston Villa Football Club that it can compete at the highest level within the Premiership and in Europe."
Fans will now be hoping that the arrival of Lerner, who has a fortune of $1.4 billion, will unlock a transfer kitty that could bring in new players before the August 31 deadline.
However, the announcement to the Stock Exchange yesterday did not contain any details that future funds could be available.
Former deputy chief executive and finance director Mark Ansell said Lerner would be "foolish" not to invest in the squad.
He said: "It would be foolish of Lerner to pay this kind of price for Villa and not spend money on players."
Jonathan Fear, spokesman for Aston Villa Shareholders Association, said: "It has been our stance for many years that chairman Doug Ellis should step aside and gladly that is now happening.
"It is obvious that the club has gone stale and needs fresh ideas and a dynamic board, we feel that is exactly what Randy Lerner and his team can provide."