An Algerian terror suspect lost his appeal yesterday against Home Office moves to deport him.
The man, who can be identified only by the initial "Y", was ruled to be a danger to national security by the Special Immigration Appeals Commission (Siac).
The crucial ruling - which will also affect the Government's ability to deport 15 other Algerian terror suspects - also indicated that the panel believed there had been improvements in the Algerian regime.
Siac chairman Mr Justice Ouseley said: "For reasons given in the judgment... the appeal in the case of Y is dismissed.
"I have received outline grounds for appeal. I will consider these and make a decision in due course."
He gave lawyers for Y until September 29 to submit full appeal papers.
Last year Y was acquitted of involvement in the socalled "Ricin plot" to distribute the deadly toxin on car door handles in Holloway Road, north London.
Siac has previously reported that Y is subject to a death sentence passed in Algeria in his absence, plus two sentences of life imprisonment - all for terroristrelated offences.
Under human rights law, suspects cannot be deported to countries where they may face torture or ill-treatment.
The Government has been seeking diplomatic assurances from the Algerian government that anyone returned to the north African country will not be harmed.
Home Secretary John Reid said: "The court agreed this individual is a danger to national security."