The threat of strike action was today hanging over one of National Exhibition Centre's major coups – the BBC Sports Personality of the Year show.
Broadcasting workers' union Bectu, which represents technicians and engineers, said it would consider the move during filming at the NEC on December 10. The news comes after 100 union members took part in a 24-hour walkout, which ended last night at 10pm.
The strike was aimed at hitting coverage of the state opening of Parliament after the union claimed the BBC had changed established rotas and torn up local agreements.
Luke Crawley, Bectu national officer, said the union had been considering further action, which could involve striking at the annual event.
"We do not have any plans at the moment but that is not to say that we might not change our minds," he said. "Today has been very successful. We are targeting coverage of the state opening of Parliament and we are hoping to cause problems.
"A lot of members came out and workers joined the picket line.
"Some MPs refused to cross the picket line including MP John McDonald."
The event has never been filmed outside of London. Last month the NEC beat off competition from venues across the country to stage the event.
Three thousand tickets were sold for the show in less than an hour following the announcement that it had been opened to the public for the first time in its 53-year history.
A BBC spokeswoman said: "We have contingency plans in place and we will do everything we can to minimise disruption to viewers."
Further industrial action has been planned by the union.