A 14-year-old West Bromwich boy was hospitalised after overdosing on nicotine gum handed out at school.
Aiden Williams is thought to have chewed up to 45 sticks of the gum before collapsing in the playground at Menzies High School Science College.
Anti-smoking advisers from Sandwell Council's Drug Education, Counselling and Confidential Advice (Decca) gave the gum to another boy after the school raised concerns about that pupil's smoking habit.
But the boy, a friend of Aiden, passed it on and Aiden was taken to Sandwell General Hospital with stomach pains on July 8 after bingeing on the gum.
He was kept in overnight for observation and discharged the following day.
Children as young as 12 can buy nicotine gum over the counter and pupils can be given 105 pieces of the gum, designed to last a week, with no obligation to inform their parents.
Decca service manager Margaret Storrie said it was the first time such an incident had happened and that it would be investigated.