Sex-scandal-hit Liberal Democrat MP Mark Oaten is to leave Parliament at the next General Election.
The 42-year-old has ended speculation over his political future by saying he will not contest his Winchester seat.
The move had been anticipated in political circles after allegations that Mr Oaten paid rent boys for sex acts emerged in January this year, forcing him to resign as his p arty's Home Affairs spokesman.
Just days earlier, married Mr Oaten quit the leadership contest for his party citing a lack of support from colleagues.
Mr Oaten said: "At the next General Election, my Winchester constituency will be replaced by two new seats and I have confirmed to the local party that I do not intend to contest either of the new constituencies.
"At the time of the next election I will have served over 12 years as an MP and, having spoken with my wife Belinda, we feel it will be the right time for us to take on new challenges."
Intense media coverage has surrounded Mr Oaten and his wife of 14 years since the News of the World allegations broke and Mr Oaten apologised for "errors of judgment".
Both have given interviews about the their marriage, and the couple, who have two daughters - Alice, aged ten, and Milly, six - are now trying to make their relationship work at their home in Bramdean, near Winchester, with the help of counselling.
In an article for the Sunday Times, Mr Oaten said his fall was prompted by a mid-life crisis brought on by his rapid hair loss.
He also said he did not like the political world of the Westminster village but could not get off the treadmill and quit the frontbench.
He explained that the pressure of work had distanced him from his family and he had sought psychiatric help.
Mrs Oaten, aged 38, said she was in the process of forgiving her husband and trying to build a stronger marriage.