A well-known consumer champion and product safety adviser for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents has died, aged 64.
David Jenkins, who lived in Edgbaston, joined RoSPA 20 years ago and was previously the principal trading standards officer responsible for consumer safety with West Midlands County Council.
He campaigned for a number of consumer safety changes, which included factory-fitted plugs on all electrical goods and the need for fire-safe furniture.
In addition, he played a part in the safety improvement of fireworks and gas and electrical safety.
Just days before his death, an announcement about a ban on the sale of non-child resistant cigarette lighters in the European Union was made - something which Dr Jenkins had campaigned for.
A RoSPA spokeswoman said that the decision was expected to save at least 20 lives and prevent 1,200 fires a year across the EU which are caused by children playing with cheap lighters.
Janice Cave, RoSPA's acting director of safety policy, said: "Consumers throughout the UK and Europe have much to thank him for.
"His dedication to safety led to many changes which have helped to save lives and prevent injuries. He will be greatly missed by everyone at RoSPA."
Educated at Brecon Grammar School in Wales, Dr Jenkins received a Masters degree in engineering from the University of Birmingham.
He was RoSPA's representative on the British Electrotechnical Approvals Board, the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting, and the Council for Registered Gas Installers.
He was also a fellow of the Trading Standards Institute and a past chairman of Consumer Safety International.
Dr Jenkins lectured widely on consumer safety and was often called as an expert witness in consumer safety cases and was a former editor of Product Safety Enforcement News.
His funeral will take place next Monday at St Mary's Church in Cusop, Hay-on-Wye, Herefordshire, followed by cremation at Hereford Crematorium.