The ominous cloud stalking Andy Robinson blackened by several shades yesterday when the England coach not only lost his captain for the rest of the Six Nations, but also found out he could be hit with a disrepute charge by his own employers.
The possibility emerged last night as the Rugby Football Union announced their disciplinary officer will investigate comments made by Robinson and other RFU officials after England's loss to Ireland last weekend.
Robinson was incensed, after the Lansdowne Road defeat, that match referee Jonathan Kaplan disallowed a Mark Cueto "try" for offside, and then failed to consult the video referee when England mauled their way over Ireland's line and Josh Lewsey claimed a touchdown.
The England coach was quoted this week as claiming that "only one side was refereed."
International Rugby Board chiefs and Six Nations officials have agreed that an investigation and any possible action, should be the RFU's responsibility.
Although the RFU have confirmed no complaint will be filed from Twickenham to the IRB over Kaplan, any comments and concerns will follow official IRB channels.
If disciplinary officer Jeff Blackett decides Robinson should face a disrepute charge, and the coach is found guilty, then a fine and touchline ban could follow.
In the short-term, a fulsome apology from Robinson would undoubtedly help his cause.
The RFU has adopted a zero-tolerance stance regarding criticism of referees, so Robinson appears to be skating on thin ice after Northampton coach Budge Pountney was last week fined #2,000 and banned from match-day coaching for a month following his criticism of Steve Lander.
And Robinson might not be alone, with Blackett certain to probe reported remarks of the RFU referees' manager Colin High, who also criticised Kaplan's Dublin display, but in a far more outspoken manner than England's head coach.
Blackett will now press ahead on the matter and decisions are likely sooner rather than later.
Robinson, High and Lander, who regularly works with the England squad at their Surrey training base, reviewed the match tape yesterday, and discussed their findings with the RFU.
"As a result of these discussions, neither the England head coach nor the RFU will be making any complaint to the IRB," said the RFU, in a statement.
"The RFU will be submitting, through the office of the RFU chief executive Francis Baron, its comments and concerns regarding the match on the official IRB form provided by the IRB for national teams to comment on the performance of the match officials.
"This form will set out any concerns that the England team management may have in a confidential manner.
Things were not much better on the pitch as full-back Jason Robinson revealed he will take no further part in England's worst home nations campaign for nearly two decades.
The England captain saw a hand specialist in Manchester yesterday, and was diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right thumb, ruling him out until early April.
"This is very disappointing for me, as this means I miss England's last two games in the Six Nations at Twickenham, and two games for my club Sale Sharks," Robinson said.
Against that backdrop, Robinson must begin preparing his players to face fellow wooden-spoon candidates Italy at Twickenham on Saturday week, starting by announcing a 30-man training squad later today.
Having already slumped to the worst Six Nations season in their history, and losing nine of their last 12 Tests, this week's events have ensured that in Andy Robinson's world, it never rains, it only pours.