Moseley 20

London Scottish 25

Kevin Maggs was shored up inside the Moseley changing room plotting his side's second half comeback when it was announced he'd won the Supporters' Association raffle. That was just about the last thing that went right for the frustrated head coach.

Not quite the very last, his team returned to force a penalty try, one referee Simon Harding seemed determined not to award despite six reset scrums and four London Scottish infringements - a score that might have been enough on another day.

But by the end both coach and team were left feeling a little short changed as Maggs collected the somewhat less than life-changing sum of £2 and Moseley had to settle for the somewhat less that status-affirming bonus point. There's always next week.

That single point restores their advantage over bottom-placed Doncaster to 11 points and with only 15 to play for it would be a major surprise if Maggs's men were to be sucked back into the relegation mire.

But no matter how fanciful, it is still a possibility and until that remote chance is completely dismissed Maggs will not rest easy. Which is why he was so irritated by his team's performance after this afternoon's interval.

Trailing 18-13 but with use of the slope everything seemed set for an archetypal Moseley surge, up to and beyond their visitors. And so it looked when Tom Warren, Sam Wilkes and Ben Evans marmelised the Exiles' front row to grasp a 20-18 advantage with 25 minutes remaining.

At that stage all Moseley had to do was keep Scottish pinned back, apply pressure through their dominant scrum and wait for the pips to squeak. Instead they lost their heads.

Harding, so lenient when it came to assenting to the penalty try, whistled Moseley back up the pitch and back on to the defensive. Not that it was his fault.

It wasn't the official straying offside, playing the ball on the floor nor entering mauls via the side entrance, it was the hosts and even with the Londoners' decision-making going a little awry - one wonders why they took a tap-penalty when two points down with ten minutes to go, they weren't ignorant enough to fail to notice Mose were unable to stop their driving maul.

It was a weapon that had forced the effervescent Lewis Calder over the line in the first half and one they turned to when they needed to bridge the two-point gap late in the second.

But they were helped massively by the hosts' infringements. No sooner had Ollie Thomas chased Glyn Hughes's kick right to the Scottish line, than Mose were spotted contesting for possession illegally. It was a massive call because Scottish would have found it extraordinarily difficult to extricate themselves from there.

But two more penalties and Moseley were back in their own 22 and Calder was nestled behind the unstoppable force. Suicide.

Indeed it had been just that way in the first half when consecutive penalties had piggy-backed Scottish up to the home line and Calder nudged his way over.

And there was an element of hari-kari about the second try too as Sam Dickenson, who has been excellent since moving on loan from Northampton Saints, opted in the 35th minute to counter-attack from deep. Unfortunately for the back-rower Moseley lost possession and Calder made three tacklers miss before the supporting Oli Grove put Chevvy Pennycook over.

Not that Scottish weren't similarly generous, less than 30 seconds after James Love had given them a third minute lead they were charged down by Billy Robinson who bagged his first Championship try of the season.

But most of the mistakes, misjudgments and marginal calls were against Moseley and not even a shiny, new two quid coin could compensate Maggs for that fact.

MOSELEY: Thomas; Hunt S, King, Carter, Robinson; Hughes, Glynn; Warren (Waller 60), Wilkes (Voisey 75), Evans (Herriott 55), Lockley, Lawrence (Powell 66), Pons (Dickinson 32), Robinson, Mason. Not used: Davies, Hunt B

SCOTTISH: Thompson; Love (Bolt 15), Grove, Reay (Gidlow 58), Mantella; Whatling, Stevenson; Irish (Mayhew 60), Kwasnicki (Allen 59), Fry (Thiede 53), Spivey (Hotson 66), Twomey, Pennycook, Calder (Russell 76), Bright

Referee: Simon Harding (RFU)