An internal review will be conducted after a man fell to his death from a third-floor balcony at Birmingham's Bullring.
The horrific incident happened shortly after 7pm on Friday when the man, who has not yet been named, leapt over 4ft barriers just outside Debenhams, watched by shoppers.
The review of the incident was announced after some Twitter users wrote of their own fears over the barriers at the giant shopping destination.
Hayley B wrote: “Looking over the balcony at the Bullring in Birmingham makes me feel very uneasy, so I was mortified to hear someone jumped from the third floor.”
And another Twitter account holder, Midge, wrote: “As horrific as that Bullring jump story is, I’m very surprised someone hasn’t done it before.”
When asked if the safety measures in the Bullring would be reviewed, a spokeswoman for the centre refused to comment. She would only say: “Following Friday’s incident we can confirm we will be reviewing the incident internally.
“We have followed all procedures in place to deal with an incident of this kind and have worked closely with West Midlands Police.”
Police said CCTV footage showed the man appearing to leap over a barrier. The force confirmed no-one else was near him at the time, despite the centre being busy with shoppers.
Two nearby doctors rushed to help the man and security guards evacuated the centre as emergency services rushed to the scene.
He was taken to hospital but was pronounced dead at 8.45pm.
Just moments after the incident, a sickening picture of the 33-year-old lying face up on the floor in the centre emerged on social network websites.
One shameless caller even dialled the Mail yesterday trying to sell an image of the tragic scene. But police said no complaints had been made.
One Twitter user, calling himself Bad Wolf, wrote: “RIP to the man who jumped off one of the balconies in the Bullring.
“I can’t believe disgusting people are putting pictures on Twitter.”
Friday’s tragedy was the second such incident in Birmingham in less than a month.
Shoaib Nadeem, from Bordesley Green, was just 17 when he fell 100ft from the Moat Lane multi-storey car park in Digbeth on June 11. An inquest into his death has been opened and adjourned.
A spokesman for the Samaritans described the latest death as a tragedy and blasted those publishing pictures of the stricken man in the moments after the fall.
He said: “We were saddened to hear about the death of this man. Publishing photos of this incident shows a total lack of compassion and understanding and it intrudes into the grief and shock of those bereaved by suicide.
“Samaritans provides a confidential, non-judgemental, support service for anyone struggling to cope. We can be contacted round-the-clock by phone on 08457 90 90 90 or by email on firstname.lastname@example.org”