Council workers have cleared a pile of asbestos dumped out-side a Birmingham school after it was highlighted by The Birmingham Post.
Environmental health workers turned up at 6.45am last Thursday to move the harmful material outside Montgomery Primary School in Sparkbrook.
The waist-high pile of corrugated asbestos was left next to the school gates on Bank Holiday Monday and remained there for two more days before being removed.
It was also located just yards from the Gracelands Nursery which caters for 39 pre-school age children.
Headteacher Olga Owen, who made repeated calls to the council to try to get the cancer-linked substance removed, thanked The Post for highlighting the problem.
"It is good news indeed," she said.
"We waited all day last Tuesday and all day Wednesday. By that time there was a lot of concern about when it was going to get moved."
Ms Owen said it was not the first time the school had experienced problems with fly-tippers.
"About three years ago we used to get huge amount of rubbish from contractors.
"There were old baths and kitchen sinks. The Environ-mental Health department caught someone on camera and they were prosecuted. It stopped then. We are hoping this is not the start of it again. We spend an awful lot of our time talking to children about improving the environment. We are doing lots of things inside the school to make it a pleasant place for children and then you go and get that dumped outside."
Asbestos can cause lung cancer and often does not reveal itself until up to 40 years after exposure. Those affected often die within a year of diagnosis.
Arthur Lewis, a caretaker working for Birmingham City Council, claimed environmental health officials failed to deal with the problem after he alerted them last Tuesday morning. ..SUPL: