Reuben Reid and Paul Bignot made debuts to remember after helping Kidderminster Harriers sink high-flying Grays Athletic.

Iyseden Christie's twice-taken penalty sealed a 2-1 win over the Essex side who had slammed Harriers 5-0 in last season's corresponding fixture. But Reid, signed from Plymouth Argyle on a month's loan, had bagged Harriers' opening goal while on-loan Crewe Alexandra defender Bignot, the brother of former Harriers favourite Marcus, produced a solid show in defence.

Harriers manager Mark Yates was thoroughly delighted with his young signings' performances.

"Goalscoring is about being proactive rather than reactive," Yates said. "Reuben has got that ability.

"I was surprised to get him. I had enquired about Reuben before and got nowhere. Then I got a surprise phone call from Plymouth manager Ian Holloway this week.

"Paul is a decent player. I thought with the games coming up we needed a proper defender who could stop crosses and do a good job."

Reid, who started for Plymouth against Coventry last week, opened the scoring on 15 minutes with a clever flick past Jay Smith and a low shot past keeper Ashley Bayes.

Aaron McLean levelled 12 minutes later after escaping defender Mark Creighton and chipping keeper Scott Bevan but Harriers' winner on 63 minutes was tinged with controversy. Andy Sambrook was adjudged to have handled Reid's header but Bayes saved Christie's first spot kick, only for referee Mike Mullarkey to rule the keeper had moved off his line and Christie slotted home from the retake.

Tamworth manager Mark Cooper accused the referee of ruining their hopes of victory in their goalless stalemate against county neighbours Stafford Rangers at the Lamb.

The Lambs had a loud appeal for a penalty turned down when striker Jon Stevenson appeared to be hauled down by Wayne Daniel in the second half butt the game was constantly blighted by the sound of referee David Richardson's whistle.

"We didn't get going at all but I felt that was because the referee spoilt the match from start to finish," Cooper said.

"It's easy to blame the referee when you haven't won but I felt he spoilt the rhythm of the game and that suited Stafford who wanted to keep it tight and slow the game down."