Prayers were said yesterday at a special church service for a man and three children who died in an arson attack.
Roderick Hine and his partner's children, Samantha, Patricia and Marcus Carter, died late on Thursday when their home in Cheddleton, Staffordshire, became engulfed in flames.
Yesterday relatives of the victims were among a 200-strong congregation gathered at St Edward the Confessor Church in Cheddleton.
The service brought together members of the local Anglican and Methodist churches to say prayers for Mr Hine, 44, and the children, aged 16, 10 and seven.
In his sermon, Vicar of Cheddleton the Reverend Martin Leigh urged the community "to reach out to one another" as it attempted to come to terms with the tragedy.
He also remembered the people of Dunblane, in Scotland, who today will mark the tenth anniversary of the day 16 children and a teacher were shot dead.
The vicar told the congregation: "Ten years ago I was driving home to Birmingham on a bright and sunny Wednesday afternoon.
"Then the news came on - 16 children and their teacher had been shot dead.
"Such a desperately wicked act sticks in one's memory and the questions connected with it can never be properly answered.
"Why? Why? Why? And there is no satisfactory answer.
"There can be no explanation. Not for that, not for the explosion, not for the terrible events that followed.
"We have to wait in hope that one day we may understand.
"The ripples of this destructive event spread out and touch every one of us here - like Dunblane. And they go wider and wider.
"Who here has not had a telephone call in sympathy for the dismay that has struck our village?
"Who here has not talked about the tragedy?
"Because heartbreak like this does not happen to us - it happens to everyone who reads and newspaper, listens to the radio or watches TV.
"But we, this little community of Cheddleton, have to try to stem these ripples, the currents of horror and despair at this awful deed.
"We have to reach out to one another in our love."
After the service, Rev Leigh said church members would visit people in the village affected by the tragedy.
He said: "We have teams of pastoral visitors to go around to try to heal the wounds and help people to try to
understand. It has come as an enormous shock which we have to deal with in the weeks to come."
Methodist minister Simon Sutcliffe, who also led the service, said: "Today we had to find words for something which is difficult to find words for. There's nothing that can be said.
"It's a deeply wicked act that has left a community stricken with grief."
Initial post mortem investigation results released today revealed all four victims died from carbon monoxide poisoning after breathing in smoke.
Mr Hine's partner, 35-year-old Amanda Carter, visited the ruins of her home on Saturday afternoon to lay flowers at the scene.
Police family liaison officers accompanied her to the house, which was all but destroyed by the fire and a blast caused by the fierce blaze.
A statement was issued by police on behalf of the victims' family. The statement read: "The family are shocked and totally devastated by the loss of Roddy, Sam, Tricia and Marcy.
"Manda, Roddy and the children were a very close, loving family.
"Roddy and Marcy were particularly close, sharing Roddy's love of motorbikes.
"Tricia was a bright and beautiful little girl, who loved her dresses and was very proud of her large shoe collection.
"Sam was a lovely young lady. She'd just started work in a shop in Leek and would have been 17 in May.
"She was very close to her cousin Collette and was very excited at the prospect of them both learning to drive this year.
"The family ask that they are now left to grieve in peace."
Mr Hine is believed to have been employed at the Cheddleton-based agricultural engineering firm Bateman's.
Ms Carter works as a night care assistant at Basford Hurst Nursing Home in the town and was called away from her shift after news of the tragedy.
* Detectives investigating the fire are continuing to question a 31-year-old man from Leek in connection with the blaze.