David Graveney has urged Liam Plunkett to make the most of an unexpected opportunity after he was called into England's Test squad for the trip to Pakistan.
The 20-year-old Durham fast bowler had already been selected for the one-day series, but chairman of selectors Graveney believes he has the quality to excel in Tests as well as limited-overs games.
Plunkett gets his opportunity following the withdrawal of Simon Jones, England's Ashes pace spearhead whose reverse swing was forecast to be invaluable in Pakistan. Graveney is confident that he will cope, if required, during the three-Test series which begins in Multan on November 12.
"Liam is a young player who has done very well for Durham this year both in the longer and shorter form of the game," said Graveney.
"This is an excellent opportunity and along with his selection in the one-day squad, underlines his ongoing potential."
Plunkett, who was born in Middlesbrough, took 51 wickets in the Frizzell County Championship for Durham last season, as promotion from Division Two was secured.
"I've tried to perform well this year and to now be in the England Test squad is fantastic, I'm over the moon," he said.
"Just to be a part of the Test squad is massive for me; even if I don't get to play in a Test match while I'm in Pakistan, I'll learn so much from being around such a quality group of players."
His call-up means Durham have three representatives in both the one-day and Test squads, Paul Collingwood and Steve Harmison having been named in the original party.
Plunkett's rise to prominence has been rapid. He made his county debut in 2004, before a spell during the following winter with the England Academy at Loughborough.
After Jones, England could lose yet another pace bowler, with Hampshire's Chris Tremlett still fighting a right knee injury.
The England & Wales Cricket Board will announce by the end of the week whether Tremlett can tour and should he be absent not only would Plunkett's chances of a Test cap improve, but England may also extend the search for another fast bowler.
"Chris Tremlett has undergone fitness testing, however the medical staff will continue to monitor him before making a decision on his availability at the end of the week," Graveney added.
England are due to arrive in Pakistan on October 26 and the weekend's earthquake devastation, which centred around the Kashmir region, is not likely to cause any postponement or delay of the tour.
Upwards of 20,000 deaths have already been recorded in Pakistan, with fears that number could double. Yet however serious that devastation may be, England should not need to change their plans as their itinerary does not take them to the affected areas.
England and Wales Cricket Board director of communications Colin Gibson said: "Our position is that we take our lead from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, the Pakistani government and the Pakistan Cricket Board. Unless we are advised otherwise, the tour goes ahead."
Saturday's quake affected northern Pakistan, India and Afghanistan and, aside from the fatalities, many people have been left homeless with houses, public buildings and communication links badly affected.
Pakistan Cricket Board director Abbas Zaidi is determined that the Test and one-day tour, which features matches in Rawalpindi, Lahore, Multan, Faisalabad and Karachi, should go ahead.
The PCB and ECB are discussing how the tour can contribute to the relief effort already under way. "We have sent our condolences via our chairman (David Morgan), who is in Australia for the Super Series," added Gibson. "We are looking at ways of helping Pakistan's relief funds as well.