Thousands of people who request a postal vote at the General Election could be asked by Birmingham City Council to confirm that their applications are genuine.
The move is part of a comprehensive plan to combat fraud.
Lin Homer, council chief executive and the returning officer, said she was considering implementing a proposal put forward during the ballot-rigging fraud trials presently taking place in the city.
Her officials would write to every person in Birmingham who wanted a postal vote to make sure their names were not being used without their knowledge by fraudsters.
Trials into claims of widespread abuse by Labour candidates in Aston and Bordesley Green heard claims that the results of last year's council elections were skewed by thousands of forged and improper postal votes.
The candidates and their supporters are alleged to have obtained names from the electoral register, applied for postal votes without telling the people on whose behalf they were supposed to be acting, and arranged to have the ballot papers sent to safe houses.
Forms were then filled in illegally to favour the Labour candidates, it is alleged.
A record 70,000 postal votes were cast at the Birmingham council elections in June 2004.
Mrs Homer admitted writing to each person would be a mammoth task, but it was likely to be the only way to identify genuine applications. Other initiatives to combat fraud will be put into operation, but Mrs Homer declined to go into details.
The powers given to returning officers to question suspicious postal votes are so limited that the council is as yet unsure whether it can legally quiz people who have applied for postal votes.
The system for obtaining postal votes was so open to abuse that it would be possible for a person living in Auckland, New Zealand, to witness declarations of identity in Birmingham and there was nothing that could be done to challenge the validity.
There were no means to verify signatures and Mrs Homer had neither the powers nor the resources to investigate, the judge added.
The court heard statements about a witness in the Aston fraud trial who was alleged to be too frightened to attend after four balaclava-wearing men appeared outside his house.
Investigations by counsel for the Director of Public Prosecutions found that while the police were called to a house in Whitehaven Road to investigate apparent threats to Tariq Hussain, they were not told about men wearing balaclavas.
Mr Mawrey said the police account of the incident did not "in any material respect" corroborate what had been said in court on behalf of the Aston petitioners on Monday.
Jerry Hayes, counsel for two of the Aston Labour councillors, said claims that Mr Hussain was frightened for the lives of his children were "patently untrue".
The judge ruled that Mr Hussain's witness statement would be disallowed if he was not prepared to attend court to be cross-examined.