Health officials have confirmed detailed plans to transfer patients and services, including facilities catering for service personnel wounded in Afghanistan, to a new £545 million "superhospital" in Birmingham.
The 1,213-bed Queen Elizabeth Hospital, in Mindelsohn Way, Edgbaston, will admit its first accident and emergency patients next Wednesday, as the corresponding unit at the nearby Selly Oak Hospital closes it doors.
The "minute-by-minute" plans will also see around 500 patients moved from the existing Queen Elizabeth and Selly Oak hospitals to the new building over a three-day period.
As part of the switch-over, the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine (RCDM) is being transferred from the Selly Oak site to the new hospital.
As workers put the finishing touches to the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital, the RCDM's Commandant, Brigadier Christopher Parker, said the new facilities would offer injured soldiers the best possible care.
Brigadier Parker also stressed that the level of military support offered to personnel at Selly Oak would be maintained at the new site, with severely injured soldiers treated on separate wards once they leave critical care.
The officer said: "Already the casualties are getting excellent care from one of the leading teaching hospitals. To move into a state-of-the-art environment like this, which has been planned with patient care at its core, is going to be so good."
Speaking to reporters in part of the new 100-bed critical care unit - Europe's largest - Brigadier Parker added: "There is nowhere else that compares with here, both within the UK and across the whole of Europe.
"Our men and women are getting the best possible clinical care you can imagine."
The new hospital's project director, Morag Jackson, said the transfer of services - staged over six phases - was expected to be completed by October next year.
Accident and emergency services will open at the new Queen Elizabeth Hospital at 2am on June 16.
Ms Jackson said planning for the move to the new hospital - where 44% of the beds will be in single rooms - began three years ago.
"We will move 500 patients in three days from both Selly Oak and the old Queen Elizabeth, although the majority are coming from the Selly Oak Hospital," she said.
The remaining beds in the new hospital are accommodated in four-bed rooms, improving patient privacy and allowing easier control of infections.
Ms Jackson said no redundancies were planned as a result of consolidating two hospitals on to one site and that the new hospital, which is expected to treat around 700,000 patients per year, had been delivered on budget.
The Selly Oak site will close by November 2011 and will then be sold off, although parts of the existing Queen Elizabeth Hospital will remain in use.