The family of a three-year-old girl abducted and sexually assaulted by a convicted paedophile last night announced plans for civil action against the investigating police force.
They believe South Wales Police could have prevented all of the sexual assaults Craig Sweeney (24) inflicted on the girl following her abduction from their home on January 2.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) yesterday partially upheld a complaint made by the father of Sweeney's victim about the speed in which South Wales Police responded to the abduction.
The watchdog concluded that the force could have prevented part of the "terrifying ordeal" of Sweeney's victim after he left his home in Newport, south Wales, and crossed the Severn Bridge.
It recommended that two serving police officers face a misconduct panel for failing to be conscientious and diligent in the execution of their duties.
South Wales Chief Constable Barbara Wilding apologised to Sweeney's young victim and her family, saying "clearly, we let them down".
In a statement, the family, from Cardiff, said: "The South Wales Police should have known and could have known who, what and where Craig Sweeney was - from the 999 call onwards.
"The South Wales Police could, in our opinion, have prevented all of the attacks on our child.
"We do not agree with the first part of the IPCC findings, but are pleased that the IPCC found that the South Wales Police had failed our daughter 'in part'.
"We are appalled by the new information that has come to light today - as a result of the IPCC investigation.
"From what we can see Craig Sweeney should have been in jail, as he was brought before the authorities regarding 'a prior incident of concern' that should have seen him returned to custody and therefore physically unable to abduct and attack our child."
They also said the Probation Service and the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements concerned with the monitoring of Sweeney "let our child down severely".
Sweeney's licence for indecently assaulting a six-year-old girl expired just days before he struck again.
Sweeney was jailed for life at Cardiff Crown Court last month but told he could apply for parole after five years and 108 days.
The sentence was widely criticised as too lenient and led to pressure for it to be referred to the Court of Appeal.
Lord Goldsmith ruled out any such a challenge to the sentence earlier this month in a decision described as "gutwrenchingly sick" by the child's mother.
The child's parents will meet the Attorney General today.