A mother and her four children were saved from a fire at their Birmingham home by a neighbour yesterday.
Beverley Stephens, aged 42, of Handsworth, saw smoke billowing from her next- door- neighbour's kitchen and dialled 999.
Two fire crews were called to Westminster Road at 2.50pm. Ms Stephens managed to lead the family to safety before they arrived.
No one was injured but the woman, who suffered smoke inhalation, was treated by paramedics.
A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said: "What this woman did was very brave, she not only raised the alarm but also managed to lead the family to safety."