The mother of a teenager stabbed to death in Birmingham city centre yesterday appealed to parents to take more responsibility for their children's behaviour.

Blanche McKenzie-Barnes, who travelled to England from Jamaica for the trial of her son Odwayne Barnes' killers, spoke out after a man and a youth were found guilty yesterday of his manslaughter.

Odwayne was killed at a bus stop in a gang-related attack in the city centre on March 7, and died three days later in hospital.

Nathaniel Darby (20), and Michel Hayles (17), were found guilty of the 16-year-old's manslaughter by a jury at Birmingham Crown Court.

An 18-year-old, Damien Belle, of Heathway, Shard End, Birmingham, pleaded guilty to Odwayne's murder at the beginning of the trial.

After the guilty verdict, Mr Justice Butterfield lifted reporting restrictions preventing the identification of Hayles.

Odwayne's 16-year-old sister, Venice Bowen, was stabbed to death at school in Jamaica in 2003 and speaking after yesterday's verdicts Mrs McKenzie-Barnes said: "I came all the way from Jamaica to see justice done.

"They murdered my daughter in Jamaica, and I did not get any justice for her, so I want to really give my congratulations and thanks to the police."

Mrs McKenzie-Barnes said she hoped her story would encourage mothers in England to take more responsibility for their children's behaviour.

"I say to mothers in England: know where your child is going, know what your child is doing," she said. "Show them love, show them care, but sit them down and tell them when they have done wrong, no matter how old they are. I am childless now. I have come all the way to England for grief."

After nearly two days of deliberations, the jury cleared Darby and Hayles of murder, but convicted them of the alternative charge of manslaughter.

Darby's 18-year-old brother, Lucien, was cleared of one count of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Mr Justice Butterfield adjourned sentencing on Nathaniel Darby, of Wyrley Way, Erdington, Birmingham, Hayles, of Amberley Grove, Aston, Birmingham, and Belle until October 26. All three were remanded back into custody.