Airport security restrictions are to be made more "manageable" within days, a Cabinet Minister said yesterday.
Trade and Industry Secretary Alistair Darling said Ministers would ensure restrictions were "proportionate" to the threat level.
Transport Secretary Douglas Alexander will meet with airports operator BAA to resolve outstanding security issues within "the next week or so", he added.
"Unfortunately it was necessary, because of the intelligence we received, to step up security," he told the BBC News 24 Sunday programme.
"But I hope that in the next few days we can make sure that the system is manageable, is proportionate."
The Government has been heavily criticised for its handling of the security crisis. Last week budget airline Ryanair said it would sue the Government for compensation for delays unless usual security arrangements resumed within a week.
On Saturday, there were signs that flight services were returning to normal for the first time since the terror threat 11 days ago.
At Heathrow, Britain's busiest airport, all planes took off and arrived without being affected by severe delays or cancellations.
At Gatwick the picture was similar with no flights cancelled as a direct result of the new security measures and no severe delays for the first time since details of the alleged terror plot emerged. l Pay dispute talks between check-in staff and baggage
handlers and their employers at Stansted Airport have adjourned until today. The talks, which were hosted by the conciliation service Acas, were aimed at averting a twoday Bank Holiday strike.
At yesterday's emergency talks, TGWU and GMB negotiators met with representatives from Swiss-port, who are the ground-handling agents for airlines at London Stansted Airport. The meeting followed an official strike ballot of 500 GMB members employed by Swiss-port who rejected a pay offer and voted for industrial action to secure an improved offer.