Representatives of the Metropolitan Police appeared in court yesterday for the first time over the fatal shooting of Jean Charles de Menezes.
After a short hearing the force was given a further five weeks to consider the evidence against it and a second court date was set for next month.
Scotland Yard is being prosecuted for alleged health and safety breaches over the death of the innocent Brazilian in July last year. Mark Carroll, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said the Crown's case against Britain's largest police force was ready to proceed.
But solicitor advocate Mark Scoggins said the Met needed "more time to consider the evidence that has been served and their position for plea".
Mr Scoggins told City of Westminster Magistrates' Court that the force was not yet ready to enter a plea. He said: "We have moved with all due speed in the last four weeks, but we need further time to arrive at our destination and a considered position on the plea."
Outside court, Commander Simon Foy, the most senior officer to represent the Met in court, briefly outlined what happened in court.
He said: "This is our first appearance in this case and we have asked for more time to consider the evidence and the allegation.
"As this is a legal process it would be entirely inappropriate for me to say anything else."
District Judge Timothy Workman ordered that the case be brought back before him on September 19.
The case came to court after a summons was obtained by the Independent Police Complaints Commission last month.
The office of the Metropolitan Police Commissioner is facing one charge under Sections 3 and 33 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
The charge alleges that the force breached its health and safety duties owed to nonemployees when Mr de Menezes was shot dead at Stockwell Tube Station in south London on July 22 last year.
The case is likely to be sent to the Old Bailey for a trial at some point next year.
The Met could face an unlimited fine if found guilty.
Mr de Menezes, aged 27, was shot seven times in the head after being mistaken for a suspected suicide bomber.
The CPS announced last month that there was not evidence to charge individual officers over the death of the Brazilian.