A man and a young boy have died after a house fire in Coventry caused by a chip pan left unattended on a cooker, emergency services have said.
West Midlands Ambulance Service said both victims were confirmed dead shortly after their arrival at hospital following the blaze in the Lower Stoke area of Coventry on Tuesday night.
Emergency services were sent to the property in Hollis Road after several 999 calls at about 11.50pm on Tuesday.
An ambulance service spokesman said: "On arrival, firefighters were bringing the two patients out of the smoke-filled house.
"As further crews were only seconds away, the first (crew to arrive) decided to leave the scene immediately with the child to take him to University Hospital in Coventry.
"While the crew worked on the child, a firefighter drove the ambulance."
Both victims were in cardiac arrest when they were rescued from the terraced house and fire crews also attempted to resuscitate the adult victim.
The ambulance service spokesman said the second crew to arrive immediately took over efforts to revive the man before taking him to the same hospital.
"Sadly, despite the best efforts of fire, ambulance and hospital staff, it was not possible to save either the man or the boy and they were both confirmed dead shortly after arrival at hospital," the spokesman said.