Slazenger English League champions Cannock began their new campaign yesterday to retain their title and scraped home with a last-minute winner at Guildford.

Richard Lane scored from a penalty corner for a 3-2 win.

Guildford had given them a shock start with a goal after only three minutes. Andy Langlands equalised after 24 minutes and Michael Johnson, on the stroke of half time, contributed a second equaliser seven minutes after the home side had regained the lead.

Premier Division newcomers Belper celebrated their debut by beating Canterbury 2-1 away.

Bournville regained their poise following last week's heavy defeat in the opening match in Division One by thrashing Teddington 7-0. Terry Lavery grabbed a hat-trick and Simon McCollum, Jed Kiddle Morris, Andy Heslop and Gary Town scored the other goals.

Barford Tigers maintained their joint lead of National North with a 3-1 win over Stourport. Harjinder Sandhu scored twice and Satinderpal Mann a third for Tigers before Phil Lashford pulled one back for the visitors late on.

Craig Tilke gave Lichfield a great start against joint lead-ers Sheffield University Bankers with a goal in the second minute. Unfortunately for the home side that was their only bright spot in the match which they lost 3-1. Lichfield are still looking for their first points after three matches.

Leek are in the basement with Lichfield having lost 1-0 to Sikh Union Nottingham.

Birmingham University remain at the bottom of National South despite draw-ing 1-1 away to Whitchurch. They led for most of the match through a 24th-minute goal by Stephen Edmonds.

A last-minute goal also affected the result of Cannock's women's side on Saturday but unlike their male counterparts it deprived them of two points [2014] the first they have dropped since entering the national league.

Cannock drew 2-2 at home to Ben Rhydding but they remain top of National North jointly with neighbours Aldridge who won.

Ben Rhydding thwarted Cannock by scoring first in the third minute and then in the 70th. The home side equalised in the 20th minute when Susie Gilbert scored in open play. With eight minutes remaining Cannock looked set to maintain their unbeaten record when Lucia Patterson converted a penalty corner. All the goals in Aldridge's 2-1 home defeat of Nottingham Highfields came following penalty corners in the final quarter of the match.

Rebecca adams put Aldridge ahead in the 54th minute and Carla Tranter added the second six minutes later.

The visitors replied in the 65th minute. At the other end of the table worcester are without any points after three matches.

They lost 5-1 at home to Preston. Emmie le Marchand scored their solitary goal just after the interval. Birmingham University are joint leaders of Women's Division One following the 2-1 defeat of Firebrands. They led through a seventh-minute Jo Turnbull goal and regained the lead via a second half goal by Anna Coppel.

* East Midland sides have taken an early lead in the DTZ Midland League Premier Division with division newcomers Mansfield among them having beaten bottom team Nottingham University 4-1. Edgbaston and harborne are still looking for their first points after both lost 2-1, respectively to Chesterfield and West Bridgford, joint leaders with Mansfield.

Olton are in the top half of the division after beating Tel-ford & Wrekin 3-1. Coventry picked up their first point by drawing 4-4 at Shrewsbury and Sutton Coldfield lost 4-3 at home to Bridgnorth.