Pertemps Bees centre Dave Knight will have the knee injury which ended his participation in last weekend's derby loss to Moseley assessed at training this evening.

The Gloucester-based threequarter has suffered swelling and pain since he picked up the knock midway through the second half of the disappointing 23-11 defeat at Billesley Common.

If Knight's situation does not improve he could miss this weekend's visit to Sharmans Cross Road of Plymouth Albion and that would be a major setback to a side looking for its first National One win of the season.

Where Bees leaked three tries through midfield in the first game of the campaign at home to Rotherham, Knight's introduction following his recovery from a shoulder problem sustained in pre-season led to a much more solid defence against Moseley.

The hosts failed to make any inroads for an hour despite dominating possession. But soon after Knight broke down, Bees allowed their rivals to ease to a relatively comfortable victory: "I did it as I tried to tap-tackle Neil Mason when they scored their first try," Knight said.

"My knee hit the ground and, after that, I couldn't put any weight through it. It was really bad on Sunday, so I'll just have to wait for the swelling to go down and get it looked at on Tuesday.

"It's really disappointing because my shoulder felt fine all the way through. There had been a bit of bad press about our defence in pre-season and after Rotherham, so we did a lot of work on it last week.

"For the first hour, it looked pretty good but then we made a couple of mistakes, missed some tackles and didn't find touch and they scored twice. When you do that, it's hard to stop the opposition."

Bees face a difficult double-header against South Western opposition now. Albion come to Solihull in five days' time and Ben Harvey must take his squad to Penzance to face the Cornish Pirates the following weekend.

"It is going to be a tough month,' Knight continued. "We have got to stay positive, though. It is a long season and, hopefully, some of the loan signings will help."

* The funeral of Tony Marriott, a well-known figure in local rugby circles, takes place at Olton Friary today.

Marriot, who played for both Moseley and Birmingham as either a centre or wing-forward, died in Solihull Hospital last week at the age of 76 after a lengthy illness.

After his playing days ended he became a referee, serving both the North Midlands and Warwickshire Societies, and was also Birmingham's fixture secretary for many years before the club merged with Solihull in 1989.

He continued to be a staunch supporter of Pertemps Bees until his death.