The daughter of a pensioner who died following a blaze at a residential home in Birmingham caused by a cigarette wants more supervision of elderly smokers.
Concerns about 79-year-old Nora Hyland smoking at the Kerria Court Residential Home, Edgbaston, were due to be discussed with its managers, Birmingham Coroner's Court was told.
But on September 14 last year, the day before the meeting, a fire in the pensioner's room left her with serious burns and she died ten days later.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, assistant deputy coroner Howard Jacks said Mrs Hyland had been visited by her daughter Deborah Richards on September 14.
Shortly after she left, the fire started. Staff acted with courage in putting the blaze out, said Mr Jacks, but Mrs Hyland suffered 19 per cent burns.
Referring to Mrs Hylands' smoking, he said: "This had been a matter of concern between the daughter and the home and, indeed, it was going to be brought up with the home management the following day."
Senior care assistant Mary McCabe said: "They like to live as independently as possible. It is always very difficult to stop someone smoking."
Deborah Richards said: "I think there was evidence my mother was having increasing problems with cigarettes and was putting herself at risk and I think the issue of supervised smoking ought to have been looked at sooner."