Coventry City's injury-time specialist Stern John maintained his happy habit of scoring vital late goals to prescribe Wolverhampton Wanderers a taste of their own medicine.

Leaving aside all those draws, the main feature of life under Glenn Hoddle has been Wolves' uncanny knack of rescuing games in the nick of time.

But even a team as committed to not losing as Hoddle's had to bow in the presence of this most last-gasp and super of supersubs.

So many of the laid-back man from the Caribbean's goals for Birmingham City were scored when the nerves of opposition defences were at their most shredded, most notably his equaliser at Villa Park last season and the play-off semi-final winner at Millwall that took Blues to the brink of the Premiership.

Even before Saturday, he had twice done the same thing for Coventry and home manager Micky Adams joked dryly that it was simply a means of his team ensuring that he didn't get to carry out his threat of extra training if they'd lost. But just how crucial will the big Trinidadian's latest injury-time stunt prove in terms of sealing the Sky Blues' safety?

Wolves boss Hoddle was more concerned with the untimely exhibition of what he called "flicky-flicky football" from his Korean star Seol that had let John in for his injury-time equaliser. But, while Seol's misplaced backheel did indeed open the door, of more concern to Hoddle when he reruns his video this morning ought to be the lack of attempts to get the ball back off John.

Mikkel Bischoff was brushed aside like a twig, Jody Craddock's challenge was little better, while Seyi Olofinjana and Paul Ince were helpless by-standers.

Hoddle was not the first visiting Highfield Road manager to criticise the manner in which a goal had been conceived from that same left flank.

In the Sky Blues' last home game, the 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest ten days before, John had watched from the bench as Dele Adebola threaded a similar path to goal in scoring Coventry's second on the night. This one, John's ninth of the season, was just as cheeky and imaginative, and ought to help in his battle to win the affections of the fans.

"This was one of the best ways to answer my critics," said John. "I got really emotional when I scored because I believe I am one of the players who should play every week on this team. I hope I can score another two or three goals this season to help Coventry stay up and put me back in the frame."

Unhappy at having been named only as a substitute for the third game running, John also wants the chance to score more goals like it by being allowed to revert his free-spirited natural game.

"Since I came to England they want me to play off the ball, to the flanks and get in the box. But I can sometimes go through the whole game and not get a shot, so I need to go back to being the old Stern John.

"At Coventry, like for Trinidad, we don't create that much as a team so maybe I need to create more for myself. I am more accustomed to doing my turns and taking on defenders."

John's effort was certainly a relief to his team-mates, midfield man Michael Doyle admitting: "It's been a test of character for him and he's come through it well.

"He's had some criticism. But the pressure is on everyone here to perform, whether they're off the bench or in the starting line-up."

While John's late leveller brought the house down ( although not as full a house as it might have been, given the Sky Blues' plight), the rest of the afternoon revolved around

Wolves left-back Lee Naylor.

It was his free kick that found the unmarked Leon Clarke to head Wolves in front. But then it was Naylor who legged up Gary McSheffrey for Coventry's third penalty in successive home games five minutes later.

McSheffrey despatched it as coolly as he had done his previous two and, for the next hour or so, it appeared destiny had Wolves down for another 1-1 draw.

That would have been a fair result. And it looked like the cruellest of robberies when, instead of it flying wide, Naylor's hopeful shot diverted in off Steve Staunton's knee. But this time, perhaps in the knowledge that even mathematical hopes of promotion were now lost, Hoddle's men for once did not keep the faith.

And John's late heroics meant another frustrating share of the spoils for the Drawn Again Christian.

Scorers: Clarke (15) 0-1; McSheffrey pen (20) 1-1; Staunton og (79) 1-2; John (92) 2-2 COVENTRY (4-4-2): Steele; Duffy (Morrell

74), Page, Staunton, Hall; McSheffrey, Jorgensen (Benjamin 82), Doyle, Dyer; Goater (John 66), Adebola. Subs: Pressman (gk), Whing WOLVES (4-2-1-3): Oakes; Bischoff, Craddock, Lescott, Naylor; Olofinjana, Ince; Cameron (Kennedy 83); Seol, Clarke ( Ricketts 88), Miller. Subs: Edwards, Cooper, Clingan Referee: Grant Hegley (Hertgfordshire) Bookings: Sky Blues - Jorgensen (foul) Attendance: 19,412 Sky Blues man of the match: Michael Doyle - enough midfield bite to ensure that Stephen Hughes was not too badly missed.

Wolves man of the match: Joleon Lescott - so calm, so full of time and starting to look a monumental presence at the back.