A conference will take place this weekend looking at the impact and other issues surrounding last year's tornado in Birmingham.
Experts from various organisations and representatives from Birmingham City Council will speak at the event on Saturday at Birmingham University.
Steve Grogan, the head of emergency planning and business continuity at the city council, said contingency plans put in place by the authority to cope with any repeat were among the best in the country.
He said the council's reactions had been tested by a series of events in the last year, including the tornado and the evacuation of Birmingham city centre during a terrorism scare.
He added that robust emergency planning techniques had been improved and the city was aiming to set a benchmark across the country.
Mr Grogan said: "Birmingham is a city of major international importance both in terms of its economy and geography.
"We have to ensure we have the best emergency planning available and that has been tested with both the tornado and the evacuation of the entertainment zones.
"These events, which happened before I joined the council in January, were dealt with in a very professional way by the city council.
"But we have to improve and we aim to become one of the best local authorities in the country with regards to emergency planning".
The conference has been organised by the Tornado and Storm Research Organisation (TORRO) which is exploring issues associated with the twister which hit Birmingham on July 28.
Investigators from the body measured a damage path over 11 kilometres (seven miles) long, and up to 500 metres wide. The tornado caused an estimated £25 million of damage, but miraculously no one was killed when homes and businesses in Spark-brook, Moseley, Kings Heath and Balsall Heath were hit by the devastating 130 mph winds. Many of the 1,000 damaged properties were not insured by their owners which led to questions over how repair costs would be met.
Birmingham City Council spent £3 million in emergency cash immediately after the twister setting up emergency shelters, shoring up buildings and cleaning up streets. But the major cost of repairing the damage fell to the council's insurers.
The repair work took time and scores of houses and flats remained uninhabitable weeks after the tornado struck.
Support from the local authority has stalled because of Government rules regarding emergency support for natural disasters.
The official funding stream - called the Bellwin Scheme - is only available when an authority has spent more than 0.2 per cent of its total budget on dealing with the clean-up.
However, because Birmingham is Britain's largest council with the highest budget, it is unlikely ever to qualify.
The local authority drew criticism last month when it emerged that £100,000 it had donated to tornado victims had come from rent it earned from scaffolding put up around damaged homes.
The cash, which was not included in the £3 million the council said it had already spent on tornado victims, went into a hardship fund being administered by the charity the Birmingham Foundation.
The Foundation had previously raised £20,000 from the public and business organisations.
People affected by the tornado, particularly in Spark-brook's Balti Triangle area, said the Government and the council had missed out on an opportunity to transform south Birmingham with a massive regeneration scheme in the wake of the tornado. * Other speakers at the conference include Terence Meaden, founder of TORRO, and Paul Knightly, from PA WeatherCentre.
Anyone interested in the event should contact TORRO on 07813 075509 or visit www.torro.org.uk