Wycombe Wanderers 3 Kidderminster Harriers 0

It was a day which begun with the buzz of optimism and ended with the depressing reality that Kidderminster Harriers will now need a turnaround of Hollywood proportions to escape the relegation quicksand.

Around 400 Harriers fans greeted their team with a cacophony but long before the end of the most inept performance under Stuart Watkiss they had been stunned into silence.

A Nathan Tyson hat-trick earned promotion-chasing Wycombe Wanderers a comfortable three points but such was their dominance that they could have doubled the tally and Harriers could still feel they got off lightly.

To compound their inadequacies, Harriers' rivals Rushden & Diamonds turned

the tables to defeat titlechasing Yeovil Town to move five points clear - effectively six due to Harriers' dismal goal difference - with five games to play.

A week ago, Kidderminster's six-match unbeaten run had created a real momentum towards survival and while Watkiss might have expected a 'let's get at 'em response' to the disappointment of Monday's defeat to Mansfield Town, Saturday's lacklustre shambles was a return to the horror-shows of mid-season.

"I'm struggling to think of any worse performance for any team I've been involved with as a manager or coach," said Watkiss.

"I thought Simon Weaver at right-back had a go and tried to do the right-things and put his head in where it hurts. But beyond that I'm struggling to pick out any player who has warranted the money they will pick up."

Despite an early flurry when Kidderminster midfielder Dean Keates was inches wide with a free-kick, Harriers were second-best in all departments.

All three Wycombe goals came courtesy of miserable blunders, rather than scintillating invention from the hosts, while Kidderminster never got close enough to the Wycombe goal to seriously test Wycombe keeper Frank Talia.

Wycombe striker Tyson - who has been a regular thorn in Harriers' side in spells with Cheltenham and Swansea - opened the scoring on 25 minutes with an excellent angled finish into the cornerof the net.

It was 2-0 11 minutes later when Harriers defenders Johnny Mullins and Wayne Hatswell ran into each other and Tyson seized possession to dispatch another low shot past a helpless John Danby.

Tyson was celebrating his second hat-trick of the season after 65 minutes. Keates failed to clear Steve Claridge's cross and Tyson's instinct took over to spin and lash home the loose ball.

Now Harriers have five games, starting with Saturday's home match with Bury, to retain their League status.

Scorers: Tyson (25, 36, 67).

WYCOMBE WANDERERS (4-1-3-2): Talia; Senda, Williamson, Johnson, Easton (Stonebridge, 16); Lee; Uhlenbeek, Bloomfield, Burnell (Dixon, 77); Tyson, Claridge (Caceres, 72). Subs: Cronin (gk), Nethercott.

KIDDERMINSTER HARRIERS (4-4-2): Danby; Weaver, Mullins, Jackson, Hatswell (Jones, ht); Cozic, Bennett, Keates, McGrath; Beardsley (Christie, ht), Rawle (Birch, ht). Subs: Sturrock, Russell. Referee: J Ross (London).

Bookings: Wycombe - Bloomfield (foul); Kidderminster - Weaver (persistent fouls), McGrath (dissent).

Attendance: 4,608.

Harriers man of the match: Simon Weaver - couldn't be faulted for effort.