London's selection as host city for the 2012 Olympic Games has received a mixed response in France with some Paris ambassadors critical of the International Olympic Committee and their English rivals.
French basketball star Tony Parker admitted his anguish following Paris' failure to win the vote.
Going head to head with London after Madrid, Moscow and New York had been eliminated in third round of voting in Singapore, Parker's France came off second best with London.
"We did all we could, we made an excellent presentation this morning and had a very strong bid," said Parker, the point guard for the NBA champions San Antonio Spurs who was among the French ambassadors in Singapore to support the bid.
"I don't know what else we could have done. If we don't have it now, I guess we will never get it.
"The IOC seems to be very pro-Anglo-Saxon. I feel extremely gutted."
Former Olympic judo gold medalist Thierry Rey has called the IOC's decision to award the 2012 Games to London "a slap in the face" to the Paris bid.
Rey, who won gold in the 1980 Moscow Olympics, was an ambassador for Paris' bid and he feels stunned by Wednesday's announcement in Singapore.
"This is an enormous disappointment, we don't understand what is happening, this is a massive slap in the face," he said.
"We did all we could, we don't know what else we could have done. We thought our bid was exceptional.
"For me it is not understandable, I don't want to criticise the other bids but some cities had a special way of working."
Another former Olympic judo champion David Douillet, who won gold in both 1996 and 2000, was equally shocked by the news.
"I am wondering whether the IOC just doesn't want us," he said.
"I feel completely appalled. It's just as if we had gone from 40 degrees to minus two just in a second. We don't understand."
He added: "This is not logical, considering Madrid was out of the race. We hoped and thought that the votes that went to Madrid would go to Paris instead.
"We did our maximum and we shouldn't be ashamed of anything. We must lose with dignity. The London bid was stronger and we must accept it.
"Obviously the London tactics were the right ones. This is not the way we acted and we would never act that way. We respected the rules."
Philippe Baudillon, the director of the Paris bid, was dejected at the outcome.
He said: "This is a real disappointment. All our work over the past few years just disappeared like that.
"We were beaten by only a few votes (54 to 50) and we gave all we had.
"I guess the Olympic movement just does not want to go to Paris."
French sports minister, and former Olympic fencing champion, Jean-Francois Lamour added: "We had a beautiful bid and we can be proud of ourselves.
"But we will continue to develop sport in our country even though I think we will have to wait for a long time now before seeing the Olympics in Paris.
"This is the third consecutive time that our bid has been refused.
"We have the experience, the enthusiasm and the love for the Games.
"That makes the disappointment all the more difficult to cope with. It's hard and we will need more time to digest it."
Stephane Diagana, a former European champion at 400metre hurdles, said: "This is a huge disappointment, we really thought it was a good sign to face London in the final because the votes that had gone to New York were smaller than those who went to Madrid.
"But we thought wrongly.
"We are very affected by the setback because we had taken the French bid with great enthusiasm and energy.
"We were expecting a favourable decision but that's the way it is and we must accept it."