Promoter Frank Warren has signed a new three-year deal with Birmingham’s high flying Frankie Gavin who, he says, “will develop into a world class talent.”
Warren has fantastic faith in Gavin’s outstanding ability.
The former Hall Green ABC star Gavin, Britain’s only ever World Amateur Champion, will feature in a championship contest at The O2, London, on May 21.
He will form part of the undercard to “This Is It”, a mouth-watering show headlined by Nathan Cleverly’s WBO world light-heavyweight title challenge against Juergen Braehmer, and the British and Commonwealth super-middleweight title showdown between James DeGale and George Groves.
An opponent and title for Gavin will be confirmed in the next few days.
Gavin is undefeated in nine fights as a pro, and lifted the Irish light-welterweight title last year.
In his last fight, he halted Michael Lomax in an eliminator for the British welterweight title.
His new deal with Warren runs until 2014, with the 25-year-old aiming to lift a world title in that time frame.
Gavin signed with Warren along with Olympic Champion DeGale and Olympian Billy Joe Saunders in 2008.
“Frank has done great for me so far, and I can’t wait for the rest of 2011 because there should be some big fights coming up,” said Gavin.
“I feel that I am ready for the British, Commonwealth and even European titles right now.
“There’s no one in the UK I wouldn’t fight, and my ultimate aim is WBA light-welterweight champion Amir Khan. A showdown between me and him next year would be one of the biggest fights in boxing.”
Promoter Frank Warren added: “When Frankie won the amateur world title I knew he was a special talent.
“Britain had never had an amateur world title before, and I am sure that Frankie will repeat his success in the professional ranks.
“I have been very impressed with the progress he has made in his nine fights so far.”