A fox had to be rescued after spending at least two days with its head stuck inside a watering can in Solihull.
The animal was spotted in an agitated state running around the back garden of a bungalow.
Its head was so firmly wedged inside the discarded plastic container it took two RSPCA officers to prise out its fur, a bit at a time, so they could force the can off him.
The creature, an adult male, was fit and healthy despite being deprived of food and water for at least two days.
It was immediately released back into the wild, the charity said.
RSPCA inspector Jonathan Ratcliffe, who was called to the garden, said: "The fox was thrashing about in quite a distressed state when we got there.
"I have no doubt he would have died if we had not managed to get the watering can off, either from dehydration or from not seeing where he was going and so being killed by a car.
"My feeling is that there must have been a mouse or a frog or something at the bottom of the can - some sort of tasty snack which would have attracted him to put his head in.
"The watering can was covered in moss and mould and looked as if it was litter.
"This only goes to remind people of the dangers such discarded items can pose to wildlife."