A girl of five and a woman of 82 are among 14 people struck down by an outbreak of E.coli, a health boss said yesterday.
They are among six men and eight women affected by the potentially fatal strain, E.coli 0157, which was sparked by people eating cooked meats from a local butcher's shop in Leeds and health bosses fear the figure could rise.
Laboratory tests traced the source to a butcher's shop in the Armley area of the city, which supplies other outlets, and the West Yorkshire Health Protection Unit urged people to be vigilant.
The source was identified as Todd's Pork and Beef Butchers in Armley, which has agreed to close while investigations continue.
The company supplies 18 butchers, cafes and delis in the area. The first case was discovered on June 23 and the latest on Saturday morning.
Thirteen people are from the Leeds area with one from Castleford.
Around a dozen of the affected people were taken to hospital and health bosses said the majority of those were still receiving treatment.
Dr Martin Schweiger, local director of the West Yorkshire Health Protection Unit, said he had serious concerns about the outbreak.
Dr Schweiger said: "E.coli 0157 has been associated with very severe disease and obviously some of the people who have been ill have been very ill in Leeds.
"We are very concerned about the fact we have got 0157.
"I am very concerned that we have not got to the end of the outbreak yet and I am very concerned that we may still get some very seriously ill people."
He added: "In numerical terms it's small scale but we are dealing with an organism that in other outbreaks has had quite a high death rate.
"Fortunately, nobody so far has died and that's a source of relief. I hope it stays that way."
Dr Schweiger said that the shop had shown a responsible attitude in agreeing to close while investigations continue.
The Health Protection Agency and Leeds City Council advised the public not to consume any cooked meats or meat products known to have come from the butcher's shop at the centre of the outbreak.
A council spokeswoman said the food was also unsuitable to be fed to pets. ..SUPL: