A fire at a Birmingham house which led to the death of a pensioner was probably caused by a discarded cigarette end, an inquest heard.
Attempts by members of the public to save 72-year-old Mary Dervan were unsuccessful and she was found dead by fire crews.
Recording that the pensioner died as a result of an accident, assistant deputy coroner Stephen Campbell said unfortunately no fire alarms had been fitted at the premises in St Chads Road, Sutton Coldfield. If they had it was possible "things might have been different", he said.
He said the woman, who had heart problems and poor eyesight, had been looked after by her devoted daughter for the last 13 years.
Mr Campbell said on January 29 this year she had been smoking a roll-up cigarette in bed and at some point discarded it, failing to make sure it was fully out which led to the blaze.
Station officer Martin Hyett said although the fitting of smoke alarms may not have saved the woman's life, if they had been activated it would have alerted neighbours and led to the fire service being called more quickly.