Queens Park Rangers 0 Wolverhampton Wanderers 0

There is no more dangerous footballer than a footballer scorned, as Wolverhampton Wanderers discovered to what could prove their major cost this weekend.

Because former goalkeeper Paul Jones, certainly scorned by the fans during an unhappy second spell at Molineux which ended two months ago, could just have hammered the first nail into Wolves' play-off coffin with an extraordinary late double save for Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road.

The Wales international is far too amenable to admit it, and Wolves' boss Glenn Hoddle tried to deny it, but the word 'revenge' must surely have been mentioned at the Jones breakfast table on Saturday morning.

And while Hoddle's decision to allow Jones to join QPR in January is perfectly understandable given the quality of other keepers at his disposal, those fans who gave their former FA Cup favourite such a hard time could only watch his late heroics prevent Wolves gaining the victory to move into the top six.

Just eight minutes remained when he somehow denied Jeremie Aliadiere from point blank range, before leaping back to his feet to do the same to Carl Cort by pushing his follow-up on to the post.

In a game of few clear-cut chances, that was the defining moment. And Wolves' inability to seize that moment and make it four wins in succession has left them with it all to do in their late bid to gatecrash the play-offs.

"'Jonah' played a blinder," said a rueful Hoddle. "I don't think it's a case of him coming back to haunt us but he made an unbelievable save there at the end and it's got them a point.

"Overall he probably made five or six good saves throughout the game which shows just how dominant we were.

"We had the clinical chances to win the game but we needed to take one to get our noses in front."

If Jones showed he's lost none of his reflexes despite his near 39 years, then Wolves defender Lee Naylor did his own passable imitation with a 70th-minute handball that would have given Rangers their best opportunity of producing the decisive breakthrough.

Naylor flicked Lee Cook's long ball out of the path of Gareth Ainsworth which, although inexplicably missed by both referee and assistant, was not by Hoddle.

"I thought it was a penalty," said the Wolves boss.

"I wish Glenn had been the referee," countered Rangers manager Gary Waddock.

It was a strange old match, entertaining at times, wearisome at others, but Wolves lacked the cutting edge which had seen them put three past Hull the previous weekend.

Darren Anderton and Aliadiere both hit powerful shots too close to Jones in the first half, while the industrious Kenny Miller also saw a oneon-one chance diverted wide by the keeper.

Given the prize on offer - a play-off berth for the first time since New Year's Day - and the chance to exert pressure on Preston's games in hand, what would otherwise have been a decent point was actually tinged with plenty of disappointment.