Residents whose south Birmingham homes were hit by last week's tornado are calling on the Government not to forget their plight.
While most news coverage focused on the devastation in Kings Heath, Moseley and Sparkbrook, people living in Balsall Heath fear they will miss out on any emergency funds.
Last night about 150 people - including 50 children - were spending their fifth night in emergency accommodation. Many more are thought to have been staying with friends and relatives.
A Balsall Heath resident, who asked not to be named, said he feared local communities could be left to their own devices once public awareness of the disaster began to wane.
The office worker, who moved to the area in 2002, said: "Where we live is one of the areas worst affected, and some people have only started to realise the enormity of what's happened.
"A lot of people have been told they will be out of their homes for at least six months, in some cases up to a year, and there's still a lot of confusion.
"News bulletins have all focused on Kings Heath and Moseley, but Balsall Heath is much worse than that and I'm worried it will miss out on any financial aid.
"There's still a lot of tragedy here, the tornado may have passed but we've still got to deal with the damage and the emotional tornado it created."
Since the freak twister struck on Thursday, more than 1,000 buildings have been surveyed by structural engineers and so far 20 have been earmarked for demolition.
Coun Mike Whitby, leader of Birmingham City Council, yesterday called on the Government to clarify what funds would be available to people whose homes were damaged.
He spoke to Local Government Minister Phil Woolas over the weekend and stressed the need for urgent action.
Mr Whitby said: "This is an unprecedented natural disaster for the city, and the council and its partners are doing everything in their power to deal with this emergency and help and support residents who have been devastated by the tornado.
"Since the tornado struck on Thursday afternoon the council has been working round the clock with the emergency services to make sure the area which has been hit is safe and secure so that as many residents as possible can return to their homes.
"I met Local Government Minister Phil Woolas and stressed there was an urgent need for Government to consider what financial support may be available to help people rebuild their shattered lives." Mr Woolas said on Saturday the Government would support the council financially as it struggled to get the city back on its feet. "I have said to Mike Whitby that if there are any gaps, we will attempt to fill them," he said.
Mr Woolas added Government money would be provided through a scheme which covers up to 80 per cent of the costs borne by local authorities as a result of a natural disaster.
While householders wait to find out what financial assistance they may get, a national charity - the Occupational Benevolent Funds Alliance - is offering advice to tornado-hit residents.
The organisation offers practical assistance through its website and helpline.
Spokeswoman Valerie Barrow said: " Occupational benevolent funds give practical help in times of need to people who have a link with a particular industry, trade or profession.
"There is sure to be a benevolent fund for those caught in the tornado. Most people at some point in their lives could get help from benevolent funds."
Help on offer could include counselling, grants, allowances, help with debts, sheltered housing or replacing household items lost or destroyed.
"Sadly, too few people know about us, but in an emergency we can provide vital help," she said.
The Joblinks website has a fully searchable database of all OBFA members, the help they can provide, and who is entitled to their services. It also includes details of other general funds.
* Visit www.joblinks.org.uk or call the OBFA helpline on 01707 651777
* Birmingham City Council Tornado Information Hotline - 0800 073 0440 - open 7.30am to 10pm