Nottingham 33 Pertemps Bees 14

The Sun may have been shining over Beeston, but Pertemps Bees' recent fixtures have been blighted by dark clouds.

The early signs of summer failed to see off the miserable darkness surrounding the Sharmans Cross Road side as they sunk to yet another loss against lowly Nottingham.

To be fair to the hosts, a side who had won just one out of their last ten, they did all the things on the day and produced an outstanding performance but for a fed-up Phil Maynard the season finale couldn't come soon enough.

"We were very, very disappointed and the sad thing is, there wasn't a lack of effort from us," said the Bees director of rugby.

"We came into the second half and in the first 13 minutes created 26 phases but then they ( Nottingham) scored as soon as they touched the ball. We just want to get this season done and dusted and start building for next season."

While some people would think the remainder of this campaign is all about players battling for their places next season, Maynard is quite frank on that subject. "I've decided all that already," he said.

Saturday's defeat looked as though it would be a case of the homeside scoring an early try and setting their stall out to defend. But that wasn't what Nottingham had in mind and at the 70 minutes mark, Bees were pointless and it looked as though it was going to stay that way.

Some good dummying allowed Kevin Brennan to open the scoring for the hosts on five minutes. The scrumhalf was fed the ball from a driving maul and faked a pass before leaping over a pile of players to add the first of five tries for Nottingham. Fly-half Neil Stenhouse added the conversion.

Bees tried in vein to hit back but when winger Joshua Kay burst through for his first try of the season on 33 minutes, it was always going to be a tough day for the Solihull side.

The homeside's hunger for victory was obvious and they opted to kick for the corner rather than take the simple penalty option all day. Replacement Ben Thompson converted his own try just before the interval to give Nottingham a half-time lead.

Nick Fitisemanu went over as a result of Nottingham's first attack of the half on 58 minutes with Thompson cooly tucking away the conversion.

Aaron Takarangi's runs had been thwarted all day but on 70 minutes the winger finally managed to break through and touch down in the right hand corner. Tim Walsh added a difficult conversion but it was nothing but a consolation.

On 73 minutes a wayward pass was intercepted by Warren Coles and he ran, untouched, 60 yards before sliding in under the posts, Thompson's kick putting the icing on the cake.

Nick Baxter edged closer to his 150-try target in injury time with a converted effort but it was just too late for struggling Bees.

Nottingham: Jackson, Kay (Coles, 70), Molenaar, Kirk, Van Den Berg (Cook 68), Stenhouse (Thompson, 39), Brennan, Leaaetod (Fuller, 71), Loney, Hall, Moore, Morley, Hammond, Lloyd (Fitisemanu, h/t), Easter.

Pertemps Bees: D Knight, Takarangi, Martin (Davies, 57), Greenaway-Williams, Baxter, Walsh, Richardson (P Knight, 57), O'Keefe, Miles, Long (Le Chevalier, 9), Davidson (Orgee, 57), Harrell (Walton, 57), Fakatou (Gerry, 59), Jordan, Jenner.

Referee: C Sharp (RFU).