Plymouth Argyle 0 Walsall 1

Super substitute Scott Dann stunned Championship side Plymouth Argyle with a superb 85th-minute winner in this Carling Cup first-round tie at Home Park.

Dann had only been on the pitch for two minutes when he lashed the ball high into the net after fellow substitute Mark Wright's excellent pullback from the byline.

It was no more than Walsall deserved after they had frustrated Argyle manager Ian Holloway's team with a very solid defensive display.

Walsall made three changes from the side that drew 2-2 at Lincoln City on Saturday, with striker Martin Butler and former Republic of Ireland midfielder Mark Kinsella surprise absentees from the squad.

The Saddlers were fortunate not to fall a goal behind after only seven minutes when unmarked Argyle striker Nick Chadwick somehow contrived to fire over the bar from six yards after Tony Capaldi's cross from the left.

They had their first chance, however, five minutes later when Hector Sam was brought down by Hasney Aljofree 25 yards out, but captain Dean Keates' free-kick was easily saved by Argyle goalkeeper Luke McCormick.

Pulses momentarily quickened when Argyle's French midfielder Lilian Nalis badly miskicked an effort from 15 yards out, while Walsall's new Portuguese winger Carlos Fangueiro blazed way over the bar from the edge of the box.

The home side finally managed a shot on target in the dying seconds of the half, when Walsall goalkeeper Clayton Ince got down well to stop a fierce drive from the edge of the box by Northern Ireland international Capaldi.

With the home fans getting frustrated, Holloway threw on Hungarian midfielder Akos Buzsaky and teenage striker Reuben Reid in the 64th minute to try and deliver the opening goal, while Saddlers' boss Richard Money introduced midfielder Wright in place of Sam, with Fangueiro joining Constable in attack.

Walsall had their best chance of the match five minutes later when Wright's right-wing cross found Keates totally unmarked near the penalty spot, but he completely miskicked.

However, they suffered a scare soon after when former Manchester United striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake rose above the defence and headed just wide from Nalis's pinpoint cross.

Ishmel Demontagnac and Dann then also entered the fray, with the game seemingly heading for extra time.

But the substitution proved inspired as a raking cross-field ball found Wright wide on the right and his cross was clinically dispatched by Dann to send the 228 travelling Walsall fans wild with delight.