The leaders of Birmingham City Council have hit back at critics who labelled their tornado clean- up as "inadequate".
They said emergency planners had worked non-stop since the twister struck last Thursday and that more than 1,000 homes had been inspected within a day of the disaster.
Nearly a week after the 130mph-plus winds, council workers and contractors are still cleaning up parts of Moseley, Kings Heath, Sparkhill, Sparkbrook and Balsall Heath.
More than 150 residents remain in emergency accommodation.
Speaking near to where some of the worst damage was caused on Ladypool Road, Sparkbrook, council leader Mike Whitby said: "The emergency plan is tried and tested and the council's response to the tornado was swift and effective.
"Within minutes of the tornado the full weight of the council's resources were mobilised and officers and contractors have been working tirelessly to make the area safe and secure ever since.
"We only had one burglary and the offender was caught and apprehended.
"Our first priority was to secure the safety of people and their possessions as well as to make buildings safe.
"We have done that well. "We are doing all we can to make sure normal life resumes
as soon as possible."
He told the public that the council's efforts had not been "inadequate" or " disappointing", as some had claimed.
He said: "We have a dedicated team of officers working on the emergency plan who between them have 100 years' experience of emergency planning."
Coun Whitby (Con Harborne) said " significant progress" had been made by the council's surveyors in discussions with landlords and insurance companies about repairs to properties with less severe structural damage.
The council is still counting the number of uninsured properties.
Some have guessed that as many as one in two homes in Sparkbrook may not have building or household contents insurance.
Coun Whitby said: "We will look sympathetically at how we can support owners and occupiers and alleviate their financial pressures by providing loans that can be recovered at a later date."
But the council's acting chief executive Steve Hughes said the council would not pick up the bill for private home owners who did not have insurance.
He said: "We certainly don't want to give the message to Birmingham as a whole that you don't need to take out building insurance and the council will fix your house."
Some local councillors have described the aftermath of the tornado as a "major disaster" and have called for more Government help in dealing with affected homes and businesses.
City council leaders said they were continuing to speak to Whitehall about regeneration funding to provide emergency resources to support individuals and the local authority.
Neither Coun Whitby nor Mr Hughes would commit to an estimation of how much money was required but the council's general manager of urban design, Steve Vickers, said the cost would be "enormous".
A taskforce aimed at bringing together residents, traders and the city council in the wake of the tornado met for the first time yesterday.
Last Thursday's tornado is thought to have been the worst to hit the country for almost 100 years.