A cigarette is being blamed for the deaths of two workmen after their van was engulfed in flames.
The friends were parked outside the Gough Arms in Jowetts Lane, West Bromwich, when the cigarette is believed to have ignited petrol fumes, trapping the pair in the van.
Firefighters and medics battled to save the men, aged 25 and 30, but they were pronounced dead at the scene.
Superintendent Bob Spencer, of West Bromwich Police, described the blaze as an "horrific, tragic accident".
He said: "There was petrol-driven equipment in the rear of the van. There had obviously been a petrol leak or spillage and when one of the lit a cigarette there was an explosion.
"The men would have had no chance. The van burst into flames and there was nothing anyone could done to save them. We are satisfied that this is an horrific, tragic accident." The damage to the van was extensive and the men would have died very quickly, he added.
West Midlands Fire Service Divisional Officer Tim Gardiner said firefighters and paramedics were on the scene in seven minutes but the men could not be rescued.
The two men were believed to have worked for Broadway Block Paving in West Bromwich. There was nobody available for comment last night.