A planned strike by hundreds of senior conductors on Central Trains in a row over rosters has been called off.
Members of the Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) union had been due to walkout for 24 hours on Saturday, threatening travel chaos for thousands of passengers. But the union called off the action when it agreed to hold peace talks at the conciliation service Acas.
The union said the company had lifted a ban on release of RMT reps for union activities, while the conductors had ended a ban on overtime.
"In the light of the company’s revised position, the RMT executive has today suspended strike action scheduled for Saturday," said RMT general secretary Bob Crow. "The company has agreed to resume talks through Acas, and we hope that a settlement can now be reached around the table."